What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplanes Fastback conversion skirt / wear question

designerX

Well Known Member
How is the canopy skirt wearing for you all that have the showplanes conversion. I really like my aluminum canopy surround/skirt on the RV4 and of course it wears very well. How does the fiberglass fair with the obvious abrasions that occur with this section being fiberglass?

Thanks in advance,
Stan

How is the canopy skirt wearing for you all that have the showplanes conversion. I really like my aluminum canopy surround/skirt on the RV4 and of course it wears very well. How does the fiberglass fair with the obvious abrasions that occur with this section being fiberglass?

I'm using a 0.75" wide strip of UHMW tape, front and rear, where the canopy frame contacts the metal skin. Works fine, and can be replaced from time to time.

I'm using a 0.75" wide strip of UHMW tape, front and rear, where the canopy frame contacts the metal skin. Works fine, and can be replaced from time to time.

Is the tape on the fuse or on the canopy? Is there risk of chipping / nicking the the fiberglass where's it is thin and overlaps the side skin? I haven't seen this conversion in person. I'm probably over-thinking this as I hope it won't require the small paint touch-ups that happen on the ol school polyester glass.

Thanks for your response.

Is the tape on the fuse or on the canopy? Is there risk of chipping / nicking the the fiberglass where's it is thin and overlaps the side skin? I haven't seen this conversion in person. I'm probably over-thinking this as I hope it won't require the small paint touch-ups that happen on the ol school polyester glass.

Both. 550 hours, no chips.

0hrs, but opened and closed about a thousand times. I don't think there is going to be an issue.

Back