What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplanes cowling/spinner/prop extension questions

Mark33

Well Known Member
I have a couple of questions regarding installing the Showplanes cowling on my -8. This cowling requires a 15" spinner along with either an extended hub prop or a prop extension/spacer. I'm currently running a standard hub Hartzell 74" BA prop, so I'll definitely need a prop extension. So my question is, how much of a prop extension will I need and where can I get a spinner for this setup?

I have the Showplanes Cowl. It requires a 2.5" Extension. I got mine from Sabre Manufacturing. I have a Whirlwind Prop. The 15" spinner came from Whirlwind.

One other issue I ran into yesterday was the aft edge of the honeycomb at the top will interfere with the Skybolt flanges for the receptacles. because of the curvature of the fwd top skin , EVEN with a 3" extension there is interference on most of the flanges, only about 3/4" from aft edge to the honeycomb on the top portion. I drilled them all out and replaced with a 1.25" strip to mount different receptacles and inserts. Cost about $500 and a day of my life.

One other issue I ran into yesterday was the aft edge of the honeycomb at the top will interfere with the Skybolt flanges for the receptacles. because of the curvature of the fwd top skin , EVEN with a 3" extension there is interference on most of the flanges, only about 3/4" from aft edge to the honeycomb on the top portion. I drilled them all out and replaced with a 1.25" strip to mount different receptacles and inserts. Cost about $500 and a day of my life.

I'm sorry you're having to fight that thing Carl. It seems like I remember Bryan saying something about that nose bowl area requiring screws and not having enough room for quarter-turn fasteners.

I don't mean to complain, I'll use the Skybolts on my next build, and the challenge of making a solution is always rewarding. Since you and others may be heading down the same road, perhaps you can save some time and be prepared. The new fasteners came in yesterday and I think they will work fine, I'll let you know.

Back