What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplanes cowling for RV-10

Andreas K

I'm New Here
Fellow Pilots,

I am deciding wether to go with the Vans stock cowling, the Showplanes cowling or any other option out there that I am not aware off.I would appreciate any input from owners who fly anything but the stock cowling. I am interested in speeds, temps, issues during the built and while flying.

Thanks for your time.

Blue skies

Andreas Kerwel

My opinion...

If I were starting a new 10, I would do the Show Planes cowl.

Lots more going on that simply a different cowl, nose gear leg fairing and larger spinner are also part of the things I like with it.

I have one

There are several RV10s flying the cowling now. It is well manufactured and quality is top notch. When I do not fly with the MotoPod attached on the belly of the airplane I have no cooling issue compared to the James Cowl reported issues. When I fly with the MotoPod (most folks don't have this) the back pressure on the cowl exit opening causes higher CHTs so I then added cowl flaps ONLY for when the Pod is installed. I also have an air conditioning compressor on the pilot side that cause a disruption in inlet cowl airflow. Still no issues as compared to the James Cowl. I purchased the air inlet kit for ease of installation. I don't run a plenum either.

Back