What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplanes Cowl Options on an RV 8

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Showplanes cowl.

The oil door. There are no scribe lines to indicate where to place the oil door or how big is should be.
So: how big is an oil door? Is it square? Might it be round? Almost certainly hinged at the leading side. Almost certainly opening outward, though a part of me wants it to push in to open and then rest against a firm surround when pressurized in flight.

The cooling air and exhaust exit. I've got a simple 4-into-2 Vetterman set up on my IO-375. The "bulge" at the bottom of the cowl looks really HUGE, and I recall people reducing the exit flow to smooth out air flow. What should I do now for that? Change the profile of the cowl? Add a central body between the exhaust pipes to take up space?

Hi Clay,
The oil door is hinged along the 'top' edge, the edge closest to, and parallel to, the airplane centerline. That way a straight hinge will work, since the cowl surface is straight there. The door opens outward. It requires a good Hartwell latch or Camlock latch, closing against a metal striker plate, or else two quarter-turn fasteners.

Do indeed stiffen the door substantially so it doesn't pillow out with internal cowl pressure. I used some 1/4" divynicell foam to make a sandwich out of it with two plies of glass on the inside over the foam. I shaped the foam to fit around the latch and the hinge.

You most likely can reduce your cowl exit area, especially if you are willing to install a cowl flap to let more air out during climb. A bulge on the inside will help with getting higher exit velocity, but won't reduce the airplane frontal area. I just closed off my exit to 37 sq in. from the original 58 sq in. (computed with the exhaust pipe area subtracted out). Here is a picture of what I ended up with, before paint. You can see the new (non-pink) fiberglass sides of the exit area. You can also see the cut-out for the cowl flap. I used a high-temperature epoxy (PTM&W 2080) since this part of the cowl is very close to the exhaust pipes (about 3/4"). Note that I have an angle-valve engine which puts a lot of heat load into the oil, so oil cooling is the main limiter on how much you can close off the cowl exit.
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• cowl inside.jpg
    cowl inside.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Showplanes cowl.

The oil door. There are no scribe lines to indicate where to place the oil door

As I recall, the cowl will work with a 540 also, so quite a difference where the oil door goes.

I would suggest you locate the cowl off the spinner back plate, then measure where the oil door needs to go.

I have seen a RV with an oil door that opens inward on an electric servo. He can open it in flight like a makeshift cowl flap, or after landing to let the heat or abs not cook his EarthX battery.

Back