What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Planes Cowl Install...

JDanno

Well Known Member
anybody have some pictures of how the Show Planes Cowl is installed? Even just some exterior shots would help. I'm having trouble visualizing how the parts go together. :confused: Please send direct to my email:
[email protected]
I will say that their fiber glassing work is really good. Much better than we get from the factory.
Thanks!

Vans%2520Homecoming%25202012%2520013.JPG

Vans%2520Homecoming%25202012%2520014.JPG

Show Planes Cowl, RV-10

New RV-10 builder here, making up my list of upgrades... Can you give me some good reasons for going with the Show Planes cowl vs. the Vans cowl? Does Vans give you rebate on his cowl if deleted?

Thanks

The stock Vans cowl is a pretty "rough" product with a lot of trimming, sanding and fitting to get it right. Pretty much ANY fiberglass product from Vans could be done butter (cowling, canopy top, doors, fairings) so when possible, many builders choose to go with after market products. If you tell Vans you don't want an item, they will leave it out and discount the kit price accordingly. If you plan ahead, its a great money saver. If you discover later on, you can always send back the unused part for a refund (minus 10% restocking usually).

As a trivia matter, the fiberglass products sold by Vans are outsourced to a local company in Oregon. That company primarily makes fiberglass shower enclosures for the home market.

As for the Show Planes benefits, that remains to be seen. But I suspect the quality of the fiberglass and fit will be greatly improved. However, they alter the air intake, induction and exhaust exit so the long term affects is unknown at this point.

Welcome to VAF!

New RV-10 builder here,

Jack, welcome to the good ship VAF

If I were building today, I would opt for the Show Planes cowl.

And, they have an absolutely fantastic interior for the 10, dont know if it is in production yet, but I suspect it will be by the time you are ready for one.

Good to have you aboard :D

Showplane

Talk to Bryan at show planes...I have bought his cowl but not installed yet. There are a few modifications needed for standard IO540 (fuel servo mounting,cable mounting.ect)
I think intake design is great.

This cowl requires a new spinner (15") from the 13" that Van's supplies. Have to figure that into the cost of a new cowl

Thanks, I am getting educated

Thanks for the welcome and reply... I believe the cowl comes in the finishing kit, which I will probably be ordering in a few months, so I have a little time to decide.

Back