What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show me your Ipad Mini mounting (please).

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
Getting tired of having my iPad mini loose in the cockpit. I was going to put a ball mount on the left longeron close to the panel, but it would still block some of my instruments. Might do that anyway. Maybe a flex-shaft mount between the seats?

The "Pivot" is interesting and mounted in your plane like I thought I would do. The leg mount is also an idea. Thanks.

Quad Lock

Dont have a picture but I have a quad lock magnetic mount on a 1 inch ram ball mount bolted to the canopy side rail, I also have the quad lock case on my iPad mini and my iphone 13 pro Max, so either can sit on the mount. If the magnet mount bothers you (for aerobatics etc.) the mount can be switched to a twist lock version which locks the unit in place and uses the same case.
I tried many different mounts with varying degrees of success and this works the best for me.
https://www.quadlockcase.com/collections/ipad-mini-6th-gen?tw_source=google&tw_adid=&tw_campaign=19673594103&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAo7KqBhDhARIsAKhZ4uiN5WCLb047XRMtnzLO-u_tse1dRjq9iQPtzTMgIhR2xKXjdYHhXcEaAm9aEALw_wcB

I also have a magnetic kneepad that either the iPad or Iphone can magnetically snap to using the quad lock cases, and I put a metal disk on my basic notepad kneepad so I can swap between devices https://www.pilotkneeboard.com/?syclid=28590407-b8f5-40f7-9b3c-e016373e4aca
YMMV
Figs

Last edited:
Here is where I mounted my iPad mini mount in my RV-6. I have used an iPad Pro 10.5" in the same location but the size was too large. The iPad mini is the right size for me.

iPad mini mount RV-6.jpg

This is what the mount looks like with my iPad mini 5 in the mount.

iPad mini 5 mounted in RV-6.jpg

I use the iPad mini in my little jet (with an MGL EFIS, the iPad is the primary map/Nav instrument…), and with my soft kneeboard on one leg, the Mini just has a piece of velcro on the back, and mates up with the velcro on my flight suit leg - that’s about as minimalist as you can get….

Xnaut cooling case on RAM ball and link, standard on the right side running SkyDemon nav software.
The one on the left for extended Tours, running FlightPlan Go and sectionals in this case.

Attachments

• IMG_6228.jpeg
    IMG_6228.jpeg
    639.5 KB · Views: 59
For the Back Seater...

IMG-0203.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I’m appreciating seeing the decisions that have been made. I’m surprised to see the stick mount and wondering how well that works. I kinda wanted that option, but found that if the iPad mini was at a good angle for viewing that it would interfere or limit the extremes of stick motion.
At the moment, my most practical options seem to be either a ram mount ball screwed on the left side corner near the panel or a knee (thigh) board.

Back