What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show how you secured brake hoses

Vlad

Well Known Member
I am replacing tired aluminum tubing with braided hoses for the brakes. Would like to see pictures how to secure them to gear legs. Did you use any anti chaffing material over the hose?

brake%20hoses%20-%201.jpg

Vlad,

I changed my alum lines to braid about two years ago. I used some good 3M electric tape to secure the line to the leg. Wrapping it about every eight inches. To date, the line is still secure and the tape is holding well.

I am replacing tired aluminum tubing with braided hoses for the brakes. Would like to see pictures how to secure them to gear legs. Did you use any anti chaffing material over the hose?

brake%20hoses%20-%201.jpg

A couple wraps of gorilla tape in three places around the gear leg for protection then a heavy duty tie wrap (zip tie) around the hose and gear leg.

Bevan.

my braided lines have a protective plastic coating. I just leave them loose in the fairing and not secured. three years and no adverse condition. I have the small size tube with oversize fitting that mates to the caliper.

Last edited:
Vlad, try splitting some old air hose and using it where you want to tape it to the leg. A small piece won't weigh much and gives good protection to the leg and hose.

my braided lines have a protective plastic coating. I just leave them loose in the fairing and not secured. three years and no adverse condition. I have the small size tube with oversize fitting that mates to the caliper.

Unfortunately my just received hoses did not have the PVC covering.

I intend to simply wrap the whole length of the hose with spiral wrap and then use the tape method as mentioned in the plans. I wanted to use the smaller size tubing, but couldn't due to my need for a 45 degree fitting at the upper end - all -6's are different...:)

Bought a foot of cheap clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store, slightly larger than the brake hose diameter. Cut into 1-2 inch long pieces, then split lengthwise to fit over the brake hose. Used electrical tape on top of hose/tubing in 3 or 4 places down the gear leg to secure, just like the old hard line.

I did as described above. Vinyl tubing spit and then held in place with some electrical tape.

IMG_2948-M.jpg

What, you only got 4000 hours out of the aluminum??? :D:D

I did it just like Bruce did, but secured with Gorilla tape. You'll love the braided hoses...a very straightforward solution.

Vlad---you can tape them or being the creative guy we know you to be, you 'coulc' take make some aluminum strips and wrap them around the gear leg, and rivet them in together. Wont move.

Tom
BTW---thanks for the great email!
Tom

Back