What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shoulder harness anchor bolt question

mikehoover

Well Known Member
Anybody have a picture of their shoulder harness cable bolted to the F-636 anchor plate? The bolt called out on the plans seems to have too much grip area and there is a gap between the "yoke" and the anchor plate. It would seem that tightening the bolt to the correct torque would squeeze the cable yoke and would then require about three washers to keep the nut on the threads properly.

Thanks!

Mike

I noticed the same thing but was tired of laying on my side in the back of the fuselage. I just went for it. It turned out fine. The nut didn't bottom out on the grip.
IMG_0864.jpg

I'd suggest putting an "L" washer in between the yoke and the plate. There is quite a bit of play in there.

And don't even bother installing these until the top skin is riveted to the longeron.

Dave

Play in that connect

Thanks for the reply, Dave. I meant to also ask if there is any swivel at that bolt location. Is the "yoke" tight with no movement, or is it suppose to allow some "swivel"?

Thanks!

Mike

After torquing the bolt, mine doesn't swivel. And it doesn't really need to as long as you point it toward the middle of the pilot/co-pilot seat.

The fork should swivel to allow for self adjustment. Don't tighten the bolt too much, it will bend (stress) the fork. Same deal as when working on turnbuckles in control systems. I thought a castle nut and cotter pin would have been better here, but I did it Van's way with the fiber stop nut. Steve.

Reply from Vans

Got a reply from Vans today.

Ken said, " At the aft end, washers are fine, but an undrlled bolt and 353 nut are fine -- just aim the cable at the hole in the baggage bulkhead when you tighten the nut.

My original question was: "Should the ?? bolt used to fasten the shoulder harness cable to the F-636 anchor in the aft fuse be tightened and torqued so that the cable yoke doesn?t svvivel, or should it be just tight enough and allow the cable yoke to swivel? I torqued the bolt and it does not swivel and causes the yoke to bend slightly, so I put an ?L? washer inside the yoke to reduce the amount of bending of the yoke."

Mike

Last edited:
Back