What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should we Paint the Interior Now?

GDS

Well Known Member
Our fuselage is progressing well, just connected the baggage floor section to the bulkhead section. We have not installed the skins. Our plan is to have the finished aircraft painted professionally. After reviewing other posts and photos, I am wondering if we should paint the interior of the fuselage now, instead of sending it all out when complete. Especially if it can be done with simple preparation. Comments or suggestions?

No perfect answer

Depends upon if you are doing a simple one color interior, or if multiple colors, and whether gloss, or flat, or stone finish. Some areas are definitely easier before the side skins are on, but too many if's and but's. You can do it when the entire fuse is finished, but depends upon type of paint equipment, or using rattle cans. Again, no perfect answer. Leave the pedals out until painting and wiring are done. That will save you time.

John Bender

Our fuselage is progressing well, just connected the baggage floor section to the bulkhead section. We have not installed the skins. Our plan is to have the finished aircraft painted professionally. After reviewing other posts and photos, I am wondering if we should paint the interior of the fuselage now, instead of sending it all out when complete. Especially if it can be done with simple preparation. Comments or suggestions?
I got mine painted before I installed the tailcone and the upper foreward fuselage- like John said, leave the rudder pedals out. Steve

I got mine painted before I installed the tailcone and the upper foreward fuselage- like John said, leave the rudder pedals out. Steve

just as a note of interest before you get too carried away with the interior, the people who make the seats you will receive are also working on side panels and carpet. not that you shouldn't paint it, I just remember getting all worried about how my seats came out and then of course I covered them up.

Good point Pete

I primed the back of the seat backs and side rails, but not the front, or finish on the rear. Not sure how much needs painting until I receive the seats. I thought I would have the seats by now, but not so.

John Bender

John,

You should call em. I've had mine for at least 6 weeks. 262-364-6166...Abby...Flightline Interiors.

I primed the back of the seat backs and side rails, but not the front, or finish on the rear. Not sure how much needs painting until I receive the seats. I thought I would have the seats by now, but not so.

John Bender
Same here, John. My seats came about two weeks after the finish kit (about mid April). Steve

If there are side panels and carpet, then I'll use nothing but self etching primer in spray cans. We have made the decision that no interior parts will be painted if they are al-clad. Unless it's a float plane on saltwater, the paint just adds unnecessary weight. We'll spray the high use areas, like floors and seats and leave the rest. the roll bar (steel?) shows, doesn't it? probably spend some time to paint it nice in a neutral color. Thanks for your comments, very helpful! GDS

Paint-as-you-go option

After considering the nightmare of trying to paint all the nooks and crannies of the interior after assembly, I decided to paint the components separately, then assemble. One big advantage is that by being able to paint things lying flat you minimize the possibility of runs.
Takes a little longer, but maybe not in the long run. So far I have 57 hours in this:
570014808_5Rtnd-L.jpg

Tony

Back