What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should Slick Magnetos be Air Cooled?

nickw9815

I'm New Here
I purchased an RV6, which has slick magnetos. At the back of the baffling, there are vent holes and hoses that direct the air towards the slick magnetos. I have heard from other pilots that this is not advisable, because if we fly into rain we will spray water on the slick magnetos which could damage them. Is having air cooled slick magnetos common practice?

I purchased an RV6, which has slick magnetos. At the back of the baffling, there are vent holes and hoses that direct the air towards the slick magnetos. I have heard from other pilots that this is not advisable, because if we fly into rain we will spray water on the slick magnetos which could damage them. Is having air cooled slick magnetos common practice?
Mine are air-cooled. Never had any problems including in the Rain. There are Slicks on the Cub which, pretty much, are hanging out there in the open. No problems with them either.
It makes sense to me to have something that has the potential to run hot in a hot environment to have them cooled off.......
IMHO...........

I have 2 Slick mags in the classifieds now that weren't air cooled. If they were air cooled they might have still been on my aircraft instead of failing in flight, over the mountains, at night, in IMC...

I have 2 Slick mags in the classifieds now that weren't air cooled. If they were air cooled they might have still been on my aircraft instead of failing in flight, over the mountains, at night, in IMC...
A blast tube is recommended. They have plastic gears inside them.

The magnetos are sealed. I don't know what damage rain would do to the mags that it wouldn't also do to other stuff. If it is so wet that the exposed p leads are having problems, that would be a LOT of water. And you would also have issues with sensor blocks, starter relays, etc.

Seems to me that the risk of a mag NOT having a blast tube and overheating in flight after 100s of hours of use is far higher than the possibility that water causes an issue, unless you fly in bad storms way more often than I do.

Check me please (may manual is in the shop), but as I recall, Champion/Unison/Slick doesn't recommend for or against a blast tube. They merely state a maximum temperature, which was something in the 205 or 210F ballpark.

Air temperatures near the mags are never that hot in flight, without blast tubes. They can reach or exceed the maximum after shutdown, when all air circulation, including any blast tube flow, has stopped.

Back