What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should Elevator balance?

ERushing

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of mounting my elevator tips and am wondering if I might have an issue. I've read that other models' elevator counterweights must be adjusted so that the elevator balances. Is the same true for the -10? If so, my counterweights are way too light.

Any guidance?

On my 7a I found that the counterweights from the factory were more than heavy enough to "overbalance" the elevator without paint. That meant that the elevator, with no friction in the control system would naturally fall with the weight down, in the airplane nose up control position. I was told that this is perfectly safe and should be left that way, as when you add paint the weight of the paint will counterbalance the counter weights. This advice was very good, as I flew for three years before painting, including Vne testing and when I finally got it painted I had to add a bit of lead to get it perfectly balanced.

You should definitely add weight if it is out of balance too light. Basically over balanced (too much weight) is safe, under balanced (too little weight) starts eating into flutter margin.

That's my understanding but I'm happy to hear from people who actually know what they're talking about:D

All Best

I called Van's on this when building as the weights provided are too light to achieve balance (as was required on my RV-8A build). The answer I got was the elevators are not designed to be balanced - that the weight was as needed for flutter.

So - use the weights as provided and build on.

Carl

Tail heavy is normal. IMHO it's unfortunate that Vans does not provide the actual moment limits until near the end (finishing kit?). You could use that info now. I guess they were thinking that balance needs checking after final painting.

10 is different

The ten is designed different than all the other models. It does not require balancing to equilibrium.

I know all those folks with other models want to be helpful but their helpfulness is confusing to newbe ten folks.

So use the weights that are in the kit nothing more nothing less. Follow the instructions and you will be fine

Gary Specketer

Once you start attaching all the pushrods and what not, they will balance out.. but until you do that they will be a tad light.

Here are the Vans published balance specs for all three control surfaces.

Elevators 37.5 in/lbs
Rudder 30.8 in/lbs
Aileron 16.8 in/lbs

These are all trailing edge heavy...

Back