What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shorter gear for RV-7A, thoughts?

b432291

With the 3 bladed Catto Prop it appaears I could lose some gear lenth and still be ok. I'd also like to have the rear sit lower. Is this a bad idea? Has anyone else been down this road?

wouldn't this be just a RV-6A? :D

I have thought about this, as some height challenged people have a hard time stepping up to the wing. Even with the foot added.

But I don't think it could ever get low enough to make a real difference and also this would limit future prop changes.

Any reason other than the height of the step up that you would want to do this???

Just my thoughts.

With the 3 bladed Catto Prop it appaears I could lose some gear lenth and still be ok. I'd also like to have the rear sit lower. Is this a bad idea? Has anyone else been down this road?

Wouldn't this give more prop clearance?

I think there are several plusses, including better prop clearance, easier boarding, possible less tipforward tendency and better looks. But then, I am an old school guy.

Less weight & drag, easier entry especially if I can get the airframe in a nose up attitude, shorter gear legs will help the cg. I'll keep the old legs if I change the prop. I will admit here I'm a ex-mooney owner which is why I'm interested in the nose up attitude, and why I'll never put a variable pitch prop on this plane. I'll keep the current gear (in my storage shed).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it does sound like a candidate for a set of -6A legs. Check with Van's to see if they'll fit the -7A structure and also whether or not they'll remain properly aligned.

I always did like our -6A's 'squat' better:)

Best,

Less weight & drag, easier entry especially if I can get the airframe in a nose up attitude, shorter gear legs will help the cg. I'll keep the old legs if I change the prop. I will admit here I'm a ex-mooney owner which is why I'm interested in the nose up attitude, and why I'll never put a variable pitch prop on this plane. I'll keep the current gear (in my storage shed).

Keep in mind that changing the main gear height without changing the nose gear height will effect the Angle of attack on the wing on the ground. This can cause handling changes. The aircraft during TO and landing will have the wing generating more lift at any given airspeed. This could make the aircraft harder to land in a crosswind and if a big difference could cause the aircraft to want to fly off before the proper liftoff speed. Bigger aircraft avoid the problem with spoilers that deploy at touchdown and dump a bunch of lift but we don't have that option with RV. I would be sure and ask vans if there will be any adverse handling effects with the change. It might well be a non issue since most of the A pilots try and keep the weight off the nose gear and nose up on the runway but I would keep it in mind.

Last edited:
Bigger aircraft avoid the problem with spoilers that deploy at touchdown and dump a bunch of lift but we don't have that option with RV. I would be sure and ask vans if there will be any adverse handling effects with the change. It might well be a non issue since most of the A pilots try and keep the weight off the nose gear and nose up on the runway but I would keep it in mind.

It may be a bit more difficult to land on the mains first with shorter main gear, particularly with flaps at full. But once on the ground, flaps could be retracted that would decrease lift much in the same way larger planes deploy spoilers.

The length of the gear is also what absorbs a lot of shock. Shorten the gear legs and all that energy has to go somewhere else.

Back