What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

short pilot

crashley

Well Known Member
Hi I am building a rv12 and have just about finished the fuse and am worried that since I am only 5' 4" tall will I be able to reach the rudder pedals
anyone have this problem or will I be able to reach
ashley

I would call Vans to see what the minimum height of the -12 pilot would be. What I would be concerned about is reaching the peddles / inseam length and full deflection of the peddles. Anything can be made to fit, it will just take some planning. There are peddle extensions that have been designed for shorter pilots so that is an option after certification.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am that same height . I added another forward setting on the pilot seat mount . (about 2 inchs forward of the most forward setting) I also made some extensions for the rudder pedals ( about 2 inches). Thats a total of 4 inches of adjustments made to feel comfortable at the controls. I have 52 hours flying with these modifications and it works just fine.

Only one downside to this. I now have the stick in my belly when I pull all the way to the stops. If I had put the 4 inches on the pedals and not moved the seat this would not be a problem. Well its really not a problem. I just need to lose the gut. Or I could bend the stick forward just a bit.

Brad Stiefvater

I also am 5'4" and am building am RV12. Last week I visited Vans and tried fitting into their demo RV12. The Van's folks were very helpful and I was actually assisted by Van himself!

I am currently working through the details of the modifications with chief engineer Ken Krueger. I am looking for a permanent fix which will not require me to use cushions or clamp-on rudder pedal extensions.

For me it appears that the best fit will be achieved with the following mods:

1) FlightLine interiors will make the left seat with 1.5" extra cushion in the seat and 2.5" extra cushion in the back rest.

2) The control stick needs to be rebent so that it is positioned 1" more forward.

3) The rudder pedal assembly needs to be cut and a 3.5" extension welded in place.

I will provide drawings for all these mods to Vans. If Ken approves he will provide a letter that I will present to the DAR during the certification so that it still qualifies as an ELSA.

Good Luck! Bob

Short and Tall

We have a slightly different situation. There are 4 of us that fly the airplane. My daughter is 5'2" and my partner is 6'2". The tall pilot has no difficulty fitting. We installed a forward adjustment for the seat and she also uses a back cushion. No problems. Full control of the rudders and brakes and stick. The crotch strap won't fit but everything else does.

If we had snap on rudder extensions that would be better but we have not figured a way of doing that. If anybody has a design idea we would certainly like to hear about it.

Richard

Rudder Extension

How about a permanently mounted (bolted on) extension in the shape of a "U"? The tall pilot would place his feet on the original rudder pedals and underneath the extensions that wrap around and over his foot, similar to stirrups . I think that it is feasible, but the details would have to designed along with some trial and error fitting.
Joe

RGaines

We have a slightly different situation. There are 4 of us that fly the airplane. My daughter is 5'2" and my partner is 6'2". The tall pilot has no difficulty fitting. We installed a forward adjustment for the seat and she also uses a back cushion. No problems. Full control of the rudders and brakes and stick. The crotch strap won't fit but everything else does.

If we had snap on rudder extensions that would be better but we have not figured a way of doing that. If anybody has a design idea we would certainly like to hear about it.

Richard

Richard,
My wife is 5'2" as well. How far foward did you install the extra seat run?...same distance as the other two?

Pete

Seat Distance

Pete,

We installed it about twice as far forward. She still needs a cushion behind her but it works well for her.

Richard

Back