What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Short Hop over the Rocks to go Swimming.

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
We have been having some great flying weather this summer and today was looking like a good day to fly over to Invermere BC for an afternoon of fun at the lake. We planned to also bring our Airdale with us. This would be her second flight and it was only 85 NM so not that far, just had to climb over 11,000 ft mountains to get there.

We loaded up the plane with a cooler of food, swimming trunks, extra clothes, two kids and a dog.
2cifmac.jpg

We got airborne at about 11:15 for the short flight over. Cloud base was about 12,000 and the ride was fairly smooth. A direct leg from the airport that we are base at leaves only one very short 2min interval of no place to land. I just close my eyes for those two minute periods.:D

The dog just sat there no different than in the car. We even put pillows on top of the luggage in the back and she climbed back there for much of the flight. She sits back there in the Honda Pilot so I guess that is her comfort spot, just a bit smaller in the Rv10:)

wceiyc.jpg

14n2yjs.jpg

It wasn't long we were making our descent into the columbia Valley.

2qis8d4.jpg

We got held up a bit prior to landing as we waited for a glider to land and clear the runway. It wasn't long we were on the ground surounded by beautiful scenery. No cmplaints from anyone, just like a drive in the SUV of the road.

qwwvpi.jpg

Not long after a freind from our local field was there and gave us a lift to the beach. It was much easier than waiting for a cab. We had a great picnic, swim and in general a relaxing afternoon.

We decided to leave and call a cab to take us back to the airport. The problem was, the wait for the cab was longer than the walk but the walk would be up hill in 30C temps. We gave it a shot and with a bit of complaining from the kids and a few breaks along the way we made it back to the plane.

We got everyone in the plane and got airborne at about 4:00. It was a really hot taxi and we all looked forward to the cooler temps at altitude. We climbed out south bound and turned east once clear of the first set of mountains. We only went about half way to Fairmont (6 miles) before making the turn on course. This plane sure can climb even in the heat of the afternoon.

We continued the climb to 11,500 for the bumpy ride home. Kids were sleeping, dog was there for the ride (she never relaxed much though) and we soon cleared the last ridge while in our descent. 0.6 from wheels up to down on the return. We got home in time for supper and had a great movie night. Sure beats the 8hrs on the road if we had to drive:D

Last edited:
Hi Troy,

We are lucky to have such good, close destinations, that are also fun flights.

Hope to run into you sometime.

Blue Sky

Troy,

Looks like another Fun family trip in the 10. Good to see the family going along and enjoying it as well. BTW, how come I never saw blue sky like that the whole time I was in Quesnel, BC?? :confused: All I ever saw was clouds and rain... :(

Regards,

Troy,

Looks like another Fun family trip in the 10. Good to see the family going along and enjoying it as well. BTW, how come I never saw blue sky like that the whole time I was in Quesnel, BC?? :confused: All I ever saw was clouds and rain... :(

Regards,

BC has a relative short period of time with long spans of great flying days. End of June to the end of Sept seams to be the best. At least for us crossing the rocks from the east side. Other than that time period, there is plenty of chinook days over Alberta leaving severe mountain wave turbulance and rain on the west coast. Great flying east of the rocks but not in them. When you do get a nice day, they are short lived and one must take advantage of it during the late fall and winter months.

End of May through June can be pretty wet for much of the area, and you had to pick then:p

Guess you need to fly up in the summer to really have a look.

Beach trip

Nice trip write-up Troy, It is always great to see that these great airplanes are being use for trip like that. :)

Nice

A Cirrus has nothing on your -10! That's a nicely finished airplane!
Nice to see it out and not collecting dust.
Great trip write up!

Back