What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Short Grass Strip Operations

Geeman

Well Known Member
I have the oppurtunity to purchase some property that is approximately 250' wide and 1800' long. I can put a 1700' grass strip on the property and I am wanting some opinions on how realistic this is. The property would have 50 to 75' trees at one end and totally open on the other. Runway would be 09/27 with winds primarily SE, and sometimes NW. I currently operate out of a similiar runway but it is 2800' and I am flying a C172. I will be building a house early next year and starting an RV-7 late next year. Given this opportunity to have your own stip in the back yard, is it really long enough. If the conditions were not right there is a 4000' paved runway about 15 miles away and the 2800' grass about 10 miles away. I was going to put a 180 horse and fixed pitch on the airplane, but could go with a CS if I needed to for takeoff and landing performance. So what do you think?

Kyle,

My airstrip is 2000 feet long oriented as 32 and 14. It is open on the north end with trees on the south end. I've flown all of the common GA airplanes in there and landed from both ways. I always take off to the north though; never out over the trees. It should be fine and it is so nice to have the airplane at home. I am 49FD on AIRNAV. Take a look and compare your potential runway to it.

David Watson
49FD

My strip is 1500', 17/35. I fly my 175 hp RV-6 with Catto 3-blade. No problems, even with Texas summers. I do have clear approaches.
Short field operations with an RV have more to do with pilot experience and technique than with the aircraft.

Mel,

Can you point me in the right direction for laws regarding private airports in Texas? Do you have to get some sort of approval from the FAA? I need to hurry up and decide on this property before someone else buys it.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Mel,
Can you point me in the right direction for laws regarding private airports in Texas? Do you have to get some sort of approval from the FAA? I need to hurry up and decide on this property before someone else buys it.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

I built my strip in 1990, but I don't think things have changed. You'll need to fill out FAA form 7480-1, Notice of landing area proposal and send it to DOT FAA Southwest Region, Ft Worth, TX. There are really no state or federal requirements. You may or may not have local county requirements. The FAA will do a study, generally they just want to make sure that you will not interfere with any close instrument approaches.

972-784-7544 if you want to talk.

Yes

You will need to fillout FAA Form 7480-1 and submit it to the FAA. I don't know if it is approval as much as notice. Also, the Texas Department of Transportation has a guide titled "HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN AIRSTRIP". It can be found here http://eaa1246.org/docs/farm_ranch_airstrips.pdf BTW. My strip is 1800 long with a clear approach on one end. I never use more than half of it (except when it is wet) with my 160 hp/FP -4 but it is nice to have the 900' overrun. Good luck.

approaches

wow! now that's a dream; your strip & plane steps from the house.
You may already have covered this, but I'd be sure to determine whose land the approaches are flown over....we had a case in our area where a neighbour built a 80' silo directly on the approach to a strip next door. ( not by chance I assure you!)
Make nice with the neighbours before committing, and surprising them!
I'd plan on mufflers, and not running the CS prop in fine pitch, ever! No-one seems to appreciate that sound but 'us'!

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to go take another look at the property this weekend. I may be able to buy/lease some more land on the east end to lengthen if need be. This property is in Harris County close to Houston and I can't find anything on their website that talks about legals on private airstrips and everyone I talk to is clueless. I will keep working on it.

Back