What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Short gear vs Long gear

algrajek

Well Known Member
I am looking at buying a RV4. What is the difference between the long at short gear? what are the handling differences?
Thanks
Al Grajek

Al, I cant address the handling issue since I have no experience. I guess short legs make it easier taxiing (you will be able to see even better) and put the prop closer to the ground, but there is a related issue you need to know about. A short leg -4 is more likely to have older firewall weldements. i wrote what I found out about that here, and wrote it up. Go to point #3.

I hope that helps, Steve.

The Long and Short of it...

There is an excellent thread about a year ago on this subject. In fact EVERY subject seems to repeat itself about a year later...:) My RV4 had short gear but have flown many long geared -4's. Observations from my cheap seat were as follows:
Long gear: Slightly reduced forward taxi visibility, but not a showstopper. (still way better than Rocket)
Better three point full stall landings. (Short gear hits tailwheel first on slow speed power-on approaches.)
Slightly shorter takeoffs (higher AOA)
Better ground clearance for long props (>69")
Better looks in my humble opinion and better overall.

Short gear: Forward taxi visibility excellent.
Shorter brake lines :)

My Dos Centavos...

Rob Ray
HR2 (Very Long Gear)

Last edited:
Back