What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Short field takeoff in a RV-6A

m3tt5

I did a search and did not find much about short field takeoff in a RV6A. I have a RV6A with a 160hp with a fixed pitch metal prop. I am hoping to take off and land in a 1000' grass strip. The strip is 1900' from fence to fence but at the south end their is trees so at 20:1 glid ratio from the south landing north it works out to a 1000'. But landing south I have nothing but corn at that end. So taking off heading south I have trees and taking off heading north I am climing a hill. Any advice for me. I don't have a hollow crankshaft so I would have to go with a Avia cs prop if we thought this strip is to short for me.

As long as you have an approach on one end you are probably OK. Take-off and land over the corn.

If I were you, I would also get a very qualified RV-6A person to ride with me the first few times if I have little short field experience. The hot months and a cruise FP prop could spell disaster if you push it.

Sounds like a really good excuse to plant less corn next season.

Get Airborne, lower the nose, build speed, at about 700 ft down the runway pull up and roll off the top in your direction of travel.

Practice

Practice first at a longer field. Collect real data, then, and only then, try it at home.

Depending on the prop twist, temperature, weight, etc.. it may be not too bad, but also may be on the limits of what I'd do. I had an O-320 FP on the front of my RV-6 for awhile operating out of our grass strip, but it's just on the edge of what is comfortable/safe with that combo. A 360 doesn't have much of a problem, but the 320 is close...especially if you're loaded up and it's warm out. The "Hill" certainly won't help when going that direction, and if you get comfortable laying the plane over on it's side your trees/fence shouldn't be an issue - they slip very well (we too have trees then corn at one end and if you get good at it you can really bring 'er down sharply and quickly and sharply over the trees). If you smack a cornstalk or two with the tailwheel and then you know you're in good shape - but it is probably not good to pick leaves from trees out of the tailwheel though) :) I probably wouldn't be as nervous in landing on this strip as I would be with the takeoff...

Cheers,
Stein

It's not much of a hill more like a slop maybe. If I new how to post picture's I would post a picture of my runway. Right now I am just leaving the plane at the airport to practice. They have a grass strip that I can practice on. It sounds like it can be done and would be better if I had a cp prop or a 180hp. A friend has landed his RV6 many times but he has a 180hp and he has landed from both ways. Thanks for the info. If anybody has any more ideas please post them.

It is close, Matt...

...and be wary of taller grass that's wet, either after a rain or from dew....makes a big difference in rolling resistance.

Best,

I wouldn't try this one too many times with your combo on a hot day with the wind blowing the wrong way. It's just a matter of time before it gets you IMO unless you are really on top of it and watch all the factors like wind, DA, grass condition etc.

I have a 160hp -4 which I operate out of 1020'. Practice a lot elsewhere until you KNOW you can do it. Takeoff will not be a problem, but for me the landing is critical. Because of illness in the family I have not been doing much flying for the last 12 months and the runway is defiantly shrinking in length.

Be cautious the first time you go in 2 up. It makes quite a difference. Also, check the airspeed .v. GPS to see if you have a light tailwind. That can get you.

You can land at my place here if you want. Also takeoff, but thats easy.

Last edited:
I don't remember how long Pioneer is in Oshkosh (little grass strip next to EAA HQ), but it's pretty short. I spent a summer flying 6A's out of there with no problems. Big trees on one side. Probably have a few hundred to's/ldg's on there.

The key is discipline. We had a set of cones marking the "no later than" touch down spot for landing. If you were longer, you went around. Even landing shorter than those cones, on an early morning with dew on the grass it could get exciting.

As far as climbing out during the day, even when it was hot, I never remember having a problem.

I say all this with the caveat that I don't remember what the total length of the grass was.

6 OK sure, 6A.....I don't know

I have a 180HP/CS 6A around 250 hrs in it and a ton of those while off road. Also plenty of Super Cub/Kit Fox experience on short strips. Landing on that strip is going to be seriously challenging! I'm not saying impossible or even un-safe just challenging Take off, of course I'd have no problems....landing is another story and I really refer 1500 minimum.

Two major concerns are; landing long not making the go around decision in time and slamming the nose wheel down while braking hard on the grass.

Once the mains touch VERY near the approach end I start braking right away while holding full UP elevator. I just use as much brakes as possible to keep the nose wheel slightly off the ground. Once the airspeed drops the nose wheel lands and heavy braking puts a lot of weight on it. This is the time when I'm most cautious and concerned.

If you can make it there repeatedly and safely, I love hear about it.

Jason Krause

Tight Squeeze...

Matt,

1900 feet? No worries mate. I have brought both a 6A and 7A into my strip to work on for customers. It was 1200' usable at the time. I also operate my Harmon Rocket out of it every day.
With an RV nosedragger I practice a 58-62 knot approach, power on, nose high until touchdown then power off and light braking. If you practice configured slow flight, you will be surprised at how "slow you can go". Make sure you're less than 1/2 fuel, no pax and bags and try the approach on a longer runway first. Consider yourself committed at 100' and you'll make better approaches. My Dos Centavos...

Smokey
HR2

Thank's Smoky and everybody else for the advice. I'm going to get some help from some local EAA's before I dive into this buy myself. I just hate paying them $85 hanger fee's when I have a new hanger at home.

I see some of the people posting here have C/S props. That makes all the difference in acceleration on takeoff. Maybe some have not been in a 320 FP 6A at gross on a hot day- takeoff acceleration is leisurely at best. Throw in no wind, the extra drag of grass...

Without the drag of a C/S for landing too, you really need to be on the numbers especially with no wind or a tail wind. Hammering on the brakes on wet grass doesn't do much at 40-50 knots and I'd be concerned about heavy braking on a rough strip with an A model.

Approach this carefully.

I see some of the people posting here have C/S props. That makes all the difference in acceleration on takeoff. Maybe some have not been in a 320 FP 6A at gross on a hot day- takeoff acceleration is leisurely at best. Throw in no wind, the extra drag of grass...

Without the drag of a C/S for landing too, you really need to be on the numbers especially with no wind or a tail wind. Hammering on the brakes on wet grass doesn't do much at 40-50 knots and I'd be concerned about heavy braking on a rough strip with an A model.

Approach this carefully.

I couldn't agree more, been operating out of 2200' with tall trees for 5 years in various turf and weather conditions, first with CS prop and Subby, and then Lycoming with FP. Some days it is best to not open the hangar door. Wet grass with soft turf can degrade performance significantly. Landing in a cross wind or calm wind will be challenging. The direct cross wind can and will be a tail wind many days. Just a slight tail wind is very noticeable on take off or landing on a short runway.

The stated conditions of the proposed runway and a FP 0320 will preclude safe flying many days throughout the year. Do it very carefully.

Back