What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ShopVac

swixtt

Well Known Member
hi guys,
well i need a suggestion on where to find a PowerSwitch for my ShopVac. it has died and i can't live without this thing. i know the motor works fine so i don't want to toss it. it's only about 2years old and it appears to be a 15a double pole 120v switch. any idea on where i could find a replacement.
i've heard that you can't buy them from the Manufacturer:(

anyway thanks for any ideas.

oh yeah, it's a 86 series

Last edited:
You should be able to a) order this part through your local
Home Hardware store b) give Thompson electric a call.
They are in Kamloops and Kelowna. They handle ShopVac's
warrantees.
Regards

Or.......wire it so you bypass the switch. Just unplug
when you want the noise to stop. (untill you receive
your switch).

Or.......wire it so you bypass the switch. Just unplug
when you want the noise to stop. (untill you receive
your switch).

yeah, that's how i made SURE it was the switch.

thanks guys for the quick info on it. do you think they'll just sell me a switch? it is still under warranty too but i don't have a receipt anymore for it.:(

If you have a relationship with people where you bought
your ShopVac, (if you remember within a few weeks as to
when you purchased it) they will search their database for
the transaction and print it out for you. I do this often for my
customers. Good luck, cus' the OEM switch is going to cost
much more than an off the shelf switch. The price you pay
for "parts".

Last edited:
Either it's under warranty (I.they will/replace for free) or it ain't. If it ain't then go find any double pole 15a switch drill a hole I'n the housing somewhere and your back in business. Would cost a few bucks at most

Either it's under warranty (I.they will/replace for free) or it ain't. If it ain't then go find any double pole 15a switch drill a hole I'n the housing somewhere and your back in business. Would cost a few bucks at most
have you had to get one fixed before?
it isn't that simple for the warranty route. FIRST you have to take it to a repair centre, not the place of purchase if you want to have it looked at under warranty. SECOND there isn't a shop within 6 hrs. from here to take it too.
i'm going for the switch, that's why i asked. i looked around already but haven't found one yet. SO, i just need to 'find a double pole 15a switch'!

i'll see if i can get the receipt as well... to prove it's less than three years... go from there.

thanks

You don't even need a double pole switch. A single pole will work just fine. You can get a simple switch withfast on connections. Drill a 3/8th hole and use the lock nuts on the switch. just like a panel switch on the RV. All connections will be on the inside.

Frank

Internet

Try to look it up on the internet under the brand name and model number. Simple - works most of the time for me.

I've had good luck with Sears parts Direct on
brand name replacement parts.
You will need model number, etc.
Tom

If you're ok with a regular old toggle instead of an exact replacement, try a well stocked electrical supply house, or a shop that sells & rebuilds electric motors, or an automotive parts house, or... etc. I've seen them at all of the above here in backwater Jackson MS.

The price is likely to be closer to $20 than $2, but they are out there.

If you haven't found one yet, I've got one I bought for a tile saw that's too tall ( terminals in the wrong place) to fit in the case. I think it was about $15. If you want it, send me a PM or give me a call at 601-879-9596 & we can work out how to get it to you.

Charlie

Generic metal toggle switch, located adjacent to the original

--
We've had two defective switches in shopvac (tm) among our three vac in a shared hangar. We easily placed and wired a medium size toggle in adjacent to the defective one.

In the overkill upgrade department: I wanted to try a small wireless remote control device, e.g. Radio Shack, that would put a switched three prong outlet (or duplex outlet) on the wall where the vac plugs in, and a small on/off remote control at the working end of the hose. This would allow easy on/off switching without getting out of the cockpit or walking back to the vacuum unit itself. Less run time, longer life, less energy. Admittedly: too much thinking, not enough building. :D

Mike

I read this post and had to laugh :pand it's meant in all good fun, All I could think about was wiring the panel and if this little busted switch is an issue for you then the road ahead is long in your building process:D BTW-Mine died too....Instant repair with the wire cutters and two wire nuts...Put the plug...it runs...remove it ...it stops...I guess I'm the double pole switch now!!!

i suppose so rick... i guess guys with a 'flying rv-10' have all sorts of time to read threads like this;)
you know, i could have just wired it permanently into the wall too, never thought of that! ha

Back