What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shooting Jetflex - Tip Sizes ??

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
As I start work on my fuse kit I'm trying to plan my interior painting. I've decided to go with Jetflex WR for the topcoat and the recommended two part primer. While I'm moving into new ground I think I want to upgrade my gun from my HF gun to a Devilbiss Startingline gun with the Dekups system. These guns are sold in several different configurations with different tip sizes: 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8.

I've read some of the threads on using Jetflex, but I need more specifics. The primer is solvent based and the top coat in my case will be water based.

So... My question is what is the best tip size to shoot each of these products. At this point I can buy whatever is most appropriate so I'd like some guidance from the brain trust on what they have used. Also can I use the same tip for primer and the top coat?

Hey Ray,

1.8 works well. The stuff is mighty thick out of the can, and still stiff after the 10% reduction with water. I have about 20PSI on my gun with a 1.8mm tip and am happy with the results. It takes a few days, but the stuff dries nice and hard. I'm very happy with it!

However, be sure to buy enough at the first go. The color match between the first and second quart wasn't particularly good. I'll end up using about 2.5 qts to do the interior. I'm painting all the parts prior to assy in small batches, which increases waste due the the unrecoverable leftovers in the gun. 2qts would be a minimum, even if you're spraying after assy.

FYI ... I'm using a DeVilbiss FinishLine 4 gun ... it's a very nice upgrade over the HF standard.

Also, happy to see you're across the bay .. lemmie know if I can lend a hand. The fuse needs two people from time to time.

Last edited:
Bill,

Thanks for the info. Did you use the same tip size for the primer and the top coat?

Also thanks for the offer I may need to take you up on it sometime.

Hi Ray,

I'm using Stewart Systems water based EkoPrime primer. It's a bit thinner, however it goes on well with a 1.8 or 1.5 tip. Lately I've been using the 1.8 with good results.

Hey Ray,

1.8 works well. The stuff is mighty thick out of the can, and still stiff after the 10% reduction with water. I have about 20PSI on my gun with a 1.8mm tip and am happy with the results. It takes a few days, but the stuff dries nice and hard. I'm very happy with it!

I found it a little easier to spray when thinned 15% - 20%.

The data sheet allows up to 25% for a smooth coat.

http://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=SWAERO&prodno=F&doctype=PDS&lang=2

The WR paint can also be applied in a texture finish, and this seems to occur (unplanned :) ) when it is not thinned enough.

ADDED

The Binks Mach 1 97 nozzle recommended in the data sheet is a 1.7 mm tip

Last edited:
Jetflex

Probably not any help. Just a data point.
I've been spraying SW P60G2 thinned 1:2 and now SW Jetflex Solvent Based thinned 7:1:8, with a FLG3, 1.3
I thin it past manufacturer recommendation (7:1:8). It's smooth.

Back