What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shirt and Hat spotted on the beach

jws_39

My wife and I flew the RV with my other flying buddies and there wives to the wonderful town of Ockracoke on the outer banks of NC. We stopped in for a lunch at famous Howard's Pub. The service is great! This was our second time and this time we call in on the unicom and they picked us up with the limo (golf cart):D.
DSC00833.JPG

DSC00830.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

Is there anything to do in Ockracoke?

My wife and I have talked about a cross country getaway from our home in Central FL and Ockracoke looks interesting. Is there anything to do here? How about accommodations?

Ocracoke is awesome! By far one of the neatest places I have visited in the RV. Not sure what it is, but something about it just appeals to me. I like it because it's *not* crowded and crazy and overly touristy. A walk from the airport to the center of town (if you can call it that) is doable, but may be a long walk for folks that are out of shape. Once you get to town there are plenty of bicycle rental places...and don't worry -- you will definitely fit in on a bicycle -- they are everywhere. There are no bridges to Ocracoke so most folks that are there seem to come on the ferries without a vehicle and use bikes to get around.

The bicycle shop that we rented from actually brought us back to the airport in their personal car. Nice folks.

BTW: This would be *the* place to take a folding bicycle if you have one.

Depends on the time of year...

My wife and I have talked about a cross country getaway from our home in Central FL and Ockracoke looks interesting. Is there anything to do here? How about accommodations?

We went in early December one year and there was only one hotel open and we had reservations and were the only occupants as well. The "Off" season really closes everything down, so check first on what is available or open.

Best,

Back