What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping Delays

esjacoby77

Well Known Member
As we know, Van's has announced delays in shipping some kits. I ordered my 7A wing kit (standard build) on Feb. 25. Shipping was originally scheduled for the week of May 17. Yesterday, I received a letter from Van's saying that the shipment will be delayed until the week of July 12! The reason given is that they are experiencing a delay in production (no further detail).

While I would like to have my wing kit on the original shipping date, I understand that delays happen. In the meantime, I've been doing the fiberglass work on my empennage and I have built my wing stand/jig. What other things could I be doing in the interim? Cleaning the garage/airplane factory is at the top of my list, but are there other things I could be doing in preparation for the arrival and construction of my wings?

Wile I can?t answer your question about what to do wile you wait, I can speculate why your kit/kits are arriving later these days. Since orders have picked up this year there has been for us a shortage of some 4130 tubing, some of witch wont be along tell the end of may! I would bet that Van?s is having the same trouble with other materials also. At a point it begins to be impossible to fill orders. Seems like the people that make some of the raw materials are not ramping up to meet the increased demand of our improving (if only slightly) economy.

I just got the same letter.... but for the fuselage kit

I just got the same letter... but for the fuselage kit.

I plan on painting the wings and emp in the mean time.
:(

I'm going with automotive paint

I'm using Dupont ChromaOne single stage paint... I've used it before on my car projects and I know what to expect.... your mileage may vary.:D

I haven't got any letter. I seen on Van's site it explaining delays on some kits. Mine wasn?t specifically mentioned (an RV-4), but sure figured I would have got it by now. I ordered mine January 18. I received a letter not too long after that saying it would be ready for crating March 29th. I wrote a few days before that and asked if everything was still on schedule, I wanted to make sure I?m around on the day it arrives. They said it was, but they needed final payment. So I sent out a cashier?s check on the 30th of March, and was told it would go to crating after that. Almost a month later, I still haven?t heard anything. Anne said she would let me know when it shipped, but wasn?t able to give me a date. Perhaps they hold the cashier?s check until they know it clears which I completely understand, and maybe this helps explain some more of my delay. My credit card didn?t have enough of a upper limit for the final payment, which is why I went with a CC for it.

The date shown for ready for crating, and from when kit is actually sent out is probably going to be over a month for mine. Probably ordering in January before the price increases pushed it back a bit more too.

Since this is Van?s, I?m not the least bit worried, and don?t mind the wait. They can?t help it if they are so popular either. :D

A few days before Vans annouced the dealys on their web site, I got my confirmation letter on my RV-10 finish kit stating it would ship mid-May. This is about a six week lead time as oppose to the eleven weeks that is stated on their web site.

At the moment, I'm being optimistic thinking that the constrained parts are in the RV-10 finish kit. Of course, the best we can do now is to cross our fingers, and hope for the best.

bob

Van?s just called this morning, and I talked to Barbara. She said my 4 was being shipped out today by ABF. And wow, only $464 shipping to send it all the way to TX. And that was for the empennage, wing, and fuselage kits. She said they get a 68% discount.

The fun/nightmare (pick one) is fixin' to begin. :D

Well, I must be one of the lucky ones. I ordered my 7 fuselage early Jan before deadline of price increase and I received kit April 15. The main gear does not ship in the 7 fuselage kit so maybe 4130 material is the problem. There were a few items BO but received those parts last week. I still have about 2 months work on wings anyway. I completed the inventory and reported just a few hardware items missing.

Hmm?

...wonder if my 'letter' is also coming. I was scheduled for a May 17th week delivery as well for my SB Wings. That'll be a drag...I am anxiously waiting for them as I've done 98% of all my emp fiberglass work! :)

Things to do

...wonder if my 'letter' is also coming. I was scheduled for a May 17th week delivery as well for my SB Wings. That'll be a drag...I am anxiously waiting for them as I've done 98% of all my emp fiberglass work! :)

Ron Im also starting the wings and would suggest that you get vans to send you the dimentions for the wing jig and wing cradle. At least that part will be done.

Good luck,

I hope you do not recieve "the letter" and your wings are on time. At least Van's has been very forthcoming about delays...many companies might not do the same.

I'm trying to keep it in perspective...two extra months is pretty insignificant on a build that could last 10 years!:eek:

There is NO QUESTION as to what I would do if I had shipping delays.

I would order from Spruce (or somewhere else) http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/alumangle.php a bunch of aluminum angles and fabricate every angle called out in your builder's manual (with the exception of the Longerons). I would also, order some sheet and make any thing that I can. Treat, prime and part mark. You will be very happy later.

Drat!!

just recieved the same dreaded letter in the mail today...I guess I will have an extra two months to kill. How long can a wing stand take to build?? :p

I got the "letter" as well..

I ordered my standard build 7 fuse before the prices went up in Feb. Originally it was scheduled to ship Mid May, just got the 1 month delay notice, and am now stuck staring at my wings until June.

I will continue wiring and start working on the wing tips I guess. I can get lost in the fiberglass work for a while..

Thx

when you guys ordered your slowbuild wings or fuse, do you get a letter in mail acknowledging order and giving estimated shipping? trying to figure out if I should call and bug them or just wait

sent payment/order in last week, not impatient, just want to plan accordingly

when you guys ordered your slowbuild wings or fuse, do you get a letter in mail acknowledging order and giving estimated shipping? trying to figure out if I should call and bug them or just wait

sent payment/order in last week, not impatient, just want to plan accordingly
Yes, they will send you a letter. It took about two weeks for mine to arrive. There will also be an invoice showing what you ordered and how much you still owe. They ask that you check to make sure the order is correct and then send a signed copy back to them as confirmation.

If you call or email them, they will confirm that they received the order and give you the estimated ship date if they know it already.

Last edited:
ordered mine may 16th, they said delivery aug 2nd (week of)

just for others to reference, SB rv7 wing kit

Wings received!

The ABF truck showed up today. My delivery was supposed to be delayed until mid-July, but it was bumped up due to delays caused by other builders.

For reference:
Standard Build Wings (RV-7)
Shipped by ABF
Freight to San Antonio, TX was $302.81
The ABF driver helped unload the crates and move them into my garage. OK, he pretty much did it by himself in under 15 minutes, but I tried to help:D

better news

I just got a call from Van's last week. My wing kit got delayed about six weeks after the original ship date, but they let me know I'll have it next week. Back to the original ETA now. Looks like they're getting back on top of things.

Fuse is back on track

After a 1 month delay, I got the call from Van's saying that they would ship on Monday June 21st.. That was good enough, but I got a call from Van's yesterday saying they shipped on the 17th and provided an airbill number. I am in Seattle, and got a call from FedEx freight today, I am meeting the truck at my house from 2-5.... "Overnight Delivery ! " Works for me I finished the wings about a week ago...

Anyway, I will be neck deep in RV-7 metal in about 2 hours !

(Original order was before prices went up last Feb 1st.)

Back