What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping Damage: My Lucky Day

JohnF

Well Known Member
I received my RV12 wing and fuselage kits Monday from FedX Freight.

The long wing box had a forklift tong pucture completely through one side of the timber.

The wing kit box had one end completely crushed in and all the wood was splintered.

The fuselage kit had a puncture slit on one side about 8-inches long and about 1/2-inch wide...also looked like a forklift...wood splinters were sticking out inside from the gash.

I also noticed that "up" arrows mean little to the drivers.

Now the good news...there was no damage to contents whatever! Is that luck?

The quality of the packing by Van's people was amazing and helped prevent what could have been a catastrophe.

I think I will drive out to Oregon for the last kits - I did it twice building the RV6A. Even though its around 1,200 miles one way, at least things get home in one piece.

JohnF

How fortunate!!

John,

Glad to hear that nothing was damaged. Next time instead of driving so far, how about using Partain? They KNOW how to handle your kit.

:eek:

FedEx has delivered both my shipments so far, both damaged like yours. It seems they should get some remedial training for their forklift drivers. I think I am going to ask Van's to use another shipper for my next kit.

They did use ABF freight unless you requested a different carrier. I can tell you from experience they are no better than FedEx Freight. I would use Partain if at all possible.

Partain is the answer (I think)

Don't know Mr Partain or any of his drivers but do know that his drivers pick up your kit at Van's and deliver it to your door directly - no fork lifts are involved except maybe at Van's.

Price is very good and the drivers appreciate your kit/parts and your business. Airplanes and airplane parts is all that they haul - why would anyone choose any other delivery service? I'd use Partain even if it costs more.:cool:

There must not be any fork lift training out there. We manufacture steel structural products. I sent an industrial steel ladder that we made to the galvanizers. someone at the trucking company picked up the ladder by inserting the forks into the rungs (weaving) from the bottom. Needless to say the rungs got all bent up one in one direction and one in the other.

I think I will drive out to Oregon for the last kits - I did it twice building the RV6A. Even though its around 1,200 miles one way, at least things get home in one piece. JohnF

Hi John... I picked up both the fuselage and empennage kit from Vans in a pouring rainstorm. Drove all day. They took my plastic tarp and some wood and screwed the wood into the floor of my trailer trapping the tarp between the wood and trailer. It worked great. I got home and both boxes were dry!

I always call ahead the day before, confirming my pickup, as a heads up.

Jeff

Back