What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping Costs

NewGuy

CAn any one give me an idea of the shipping costs for an RV-7 quick build from Van's to the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

I've got a ball-park figure from Tony Partain, but need to know what standard shipping company charges would be.

Ken Korenek
Arlington, Texas
10 hours into the Empennage Kit

Call Van's talk to Barb.

She can give you the rates from them to your house or to a local terminal.

They get discounts with certain companies.

Shipping

I have used Patain and regular freight. No way would I use regular freight with the choice of a delivery to your door with the care that Partain gives. This is not an add for Partain. I deal with many different motor freight companies at my business every day. I am in the electric motor and pump business and fight lots of damage all the time from motor freight. Many containers destroyed and freight claims are very hard to collect on. You might get lucky and have no problems, but that forklift hole in the side of your crate will cause your heart to sink. Partain handled my quick build fuse like it was an airplane part. I had them deliver my finish kit and it was cheaper than motor freight even though they delivered it on a weekend. Let me say again this is not an add for Partain, I just do not trust motor freight. My 2 cents.

DWC7A
Working on wings

Use Tony

Ken,

I can't agree more, use Tony for the shipment. He has trailers made just for shipping our aircraft around the country, and the guys driving the trucks understand they are carrying our future children. ;) It's been a while since I have updated my site, but if you look under my project page, you will see a photo of how my -7A was packed. They delivered it right to my doorstep (OK Driveway) in Ft. Worth.

Just my 2 cents.

Just curious: are you going to build RV or not? If your answer is yes, why just do not make an order. If answer is no, why even ask...

While building there are some expenses you can't avoided and I assume this is one of them. If you are asking for offers for a delivery that is different thing. I budgeted $5000 for a different kind of deliveries -- hopefully (and very likely) I go under that but that what I'm ready to pay for it. On the other hand I've paid 50 % more of the tools I budgeted.

The reason I even asked about the cost comparison is just to gather data. I fully intend to use Mr. Partain.

I have a vivid memory of accompanying a friend to the local freight office to pick up his Zenith 701 kit and as the forklift rounded the corner, parts were pouring out of the smashed crate. I had the Titan factory deliver my Tornado kit and I will surely have Mr. Partain deliver my 7 QB.

I did talk to Barbara at Van's yesterday and the cost of freight company shipping from Aurora to Arlington for a 7 QB and finish kit is just short of $2100. Mr. Partain's dedicated service is a few hundred less than ABF, but when you subtract the no longer needed crating charge, the savings are considerable.

So, considering the $$ savings plus the dedicated service, you can't beat it!

By the way, while talking to Barbara, I asked about the delivery date of the QB. I expected to hear after the first of August as originally scheduled, but she said it was now closer to the end of this month. The only kicker is that the finish kit will not be ready until the first of August.

Do I wait and ship both at once? Do I ship each separately? Trying to contact Mr. Partain right now...

I ordered the 7 QB on the 30th of May and delivery could be only a month's wait.

Ken Korenek
Arlington, Texas
18 hours into the Empennage

Pirkka said:
Just curious: are you going to build RV or not? If your answer is yes, why just do not make an order. If answer is no, why even ask...

I am glad he asked. I was giving some consideration to a QS wing kit, but if the cost to ship isgoing to approach $2K, maybe more since I live way down in Florida, then their ain't no way! That amount totally puts a QB out of my budget, so I am not even going to further consider the possibility.

Jeff

How much !

NewGuy said:
I did talk to Barbara at Van's yesterday and the cost of freight company shipping from Aurora to Arlington for a 7 QB and finish kit is just short of $2100.

Blimey that sounds expensive......just for once I don't feel so bad about being an overseas builder as my 7A QB wings, fuselage and finish kit travelled from Van's via Potland to NYC overland (train) and then by ship to Hamburg all for approx $2000 (Hamburg to Hannover involved a 5M trailer at approx $40 for the day plus fuel) PLUS they arrived with NIL damage...a big sigh of relief
Okay this was 19 months ago but if US internal shipping costs are that bad :(
The downside for us overseas builders of course is that the nice man from Customs wants to empty your wallet before you can drive away :( :( :(

Shipping Cost- Update

Actually, I was wrong about the shipping cost using Van's preferred shipper: ABF.

I said that the QB AND the finish kit shipping was just short of $2100, but the $2100 is for the QB only. The finish kit is another $583. That's a total of close to $2700.

Mr. Partain is hauling the QB AND the finish kit for just over $2300. When you total the savings for shipping and the fact that you don't need to pay the crating fee, the savings is considerable.

Shipping is a substantial cost and must be factored in our cost estimates.

Ken Korenek
Arlington, Texas

Back