What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping cost

jthomas

My wings will be shipping sometime in November and I am wanting to know whats the average cost and most reliable company for shipping to the Mobile AL area. When I ordered they recomended ABF or Fed Ex trucking but they didnt know how much it would cost.

Thanks
James

well, i'm in texas, so yours will probably be a little more ;)

got my wings in late '04 -- iirc, about $350.

fuse in '05, about the same $$

finish kit in '06, was about $650.

all abf. it's a good thing van's gets that discount from them ;)

I'm in Warner Robins, GA so mine may be more comparable. The kit weight is 395 lbs and looking at Van's website the RV-9 wing kit is the same weight. The kit shipped yesterday and projected delivery date is next Thursday so I can give you an exact number then. It's coming by way of ABF.

To Merritt Island, FL, the cost for the wing kit using ABF was just under $500 in August 2007. I felt the service and delivery were outstanding.

October of 06 wing kit to Knoxville TN terminal $260

July of 07 fuse kit to Knoxville TN terminal $255.00

Quoted finish kit to Knoxville TN terminal $550.00

Quoted in July of 06 for entire kit (wings, fuse and finish) all at once to Knoxville TN terminal $693.00

In each case to be delivered to the house was another $100.00 adder.

All was with ABF and they stink, stink, stink! Both kits were damaged and I will not use them again for the Finish kit.

This was with a RV7.

Last edited:
Hopefully they provide good insurance. My kit should be shipping early december to Dayton OH.

house was another $100.00 adder.

All was with ABF and they stink, stink, stink! Both kits were damaged and I will not use them again for the Finish kit.

I concur. I ship a lot of high-pressure air compressors and components, and I've had some really bad handling experiences with ABF. I won't use them any longer.

shipping cost

I called Barb Billman (I think I'm correct on the last name) at Van's. She was able to estimate fairly accurately what the different modes of transportation would be to the zip code I needed. Turned out if I would drive about 35 miles, to the Fed Ex Freight terminal, it would be the cheapest.. I ended up using Fed Ex Freight for everything.

Shippgin costs

Got my wings today. Shipping cost was $393.74 to the front door. Looks like I've got alot of work to do this weekend :)
I'm in Warner Robins, GA so mine may be more comparable. The kit weight is 395 lbs and looking at Van's website the RV-9 wing kit is the same weight. The kit shipped yesterday and projected delivery date is next Thursday so I can give you an exact number then. It's coming by way of ABF.

Shipping to SC

Got my wings shipped to my door in up state South Carolina for $353 and change March of last year - ABF - no complaints.

Back