What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping Completed -7 Empennage?

mattsrv7

Well Known Member
Q1: What size of a crate will hold a completed RV-7 empennage kit for folks that have had to ship them? I've moved and my empennage is sitting in a friends workshop collecting dust (has been for 5 years) so I'm not able to measure parts directly. If anyone near Lynchburg or Roanoke Virginia has a crate from one of the empennage building classes please send me a note and I'd be glad to free up some of your valuable shop space.

Q2. Any ideas on how much it would cost or what would be the best method to ship it? I attempted a search of the forums and saw ~$500 in a few older posts. Might it be worth it as an add-on for one of the airplane haulers if they are already going by the area?

If the cost is too high to ship I may just buy a used kit here.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

If I were you I'd Call Tony Partain

Hi Matt. Welcome to the forum.

http://www.vansairforce.net/Graphics/PartainTruckingCo.htm

I've never personally worked with them but many others on the forum have and seem to be very happy with the service.

Currently my project is still small enough for me to move myself. I'm planning to move it from Boulder, CO to Fairbanks, AK the week after Oshkosh along with some of my other stuff, tools mostly. However, I'm not going to be able to do much more to my RV7 project before it will be too big for me to move by myself... Hopefully mine will be flying before I decide to relocate again.

Good Luck!

I was going to suggest Tony Partain, They delivered my -7 kit to South Carolina. At the time the driver was there he said he was going to pick up some freight for his return trip. They would know how to wrap it in blankets which they already have with them. Partain seems to deliver nationwide. My other suggestion would be to have your friend take it to a UPS Store and say how much to ship this. The store near me has a lot of options open to them that you might not think about. Good luck!

Back