What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

She's a bit thick(er) now...

edhunter

Well Known Member
So I was really looking forward to weighing my -9A after doing numerous mods. I bought a really nice RV-9A last April, it came in a bit heavy at 1134lbs. Full interior including sound proofing, firewall insulation, carpet, floor mats, leather seats, etc. A really nice vfr panel, fixed sensinech prop on a IO-320. Good paint. Had a Trutrak Gemini autopilot with dual servos, no vac pump. Full Anti-splat catalogue, sun visors, etc. Very nicely appointed RV.
I've made alot of modifications to her in the last 15 months or so. I'll try to remember them in order. FlyLEDS all around, added the supertracks extension for the canopy. Swapped prop to Whirlwind 151 with associated plumbing, Jihostroj governor from WW. Added backup alternator from Monkworkz. Removed manual elevator trim, went to electric. Added heated pitot, added landing height sensor. Swapped TruTrak to dynon autopilot. Removed VFR panel, added complete Advanced PFD/MFD with Avidyne 540 navigator for IFR capabilities. Added remote radio for comm2 w/ second comm antenna, added VOR wingtip antenna. Removed all insulation from firewall and floors. Added oxygen bottle but its removeable. I think that was all....
Got it on the scales last night. Tanks empty, with oil.
1170. She gained 36lbs. I'm a bit surprised by the amount. I guess the panel weighed more than I thought, as the WW prop is lighter than the Sensinech. Avidyne 540 is 9lbs alone. My nose wheel weight went down 6lbs. Weight and balance is still OK as long as 5 gallons of fuel are onboard. That's with baggage at 75lbs. I'm 205 and my wife is 135. She's listed at 1800 gross weight.
Decided my wife is going to have to go on a diet. Wish me luck. :cool:

I think the new prop is pretty much a wash with the fixed pitch.. except that you added weight of the governor and the prop cable, but removing the elevator trim cancels the prop cable weight.. you added a few pounds worth of second radios, supertracks, backup generator.. shaved a few ounces of insulation.. added some antennas.. maybe lost a little on the difference in VFR panel vs the glass.. did you add a fuel flow and associated fittings and hoses? A little more electrical wire.. is it possible the old weight number didn’t really include the Antisplat additions?

Last edited:
Suggesting wife goes on diet may gain you 135 lbs. :eek:

1800 - 1170 = 630
630 - 205 - 135 = 390 (people)
390 - 218 (36 gallons) = 172

Vans list gross at 1700, not 1800 so..

172 - 100 = 72 (baggage)

Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see a problem.

Re weigh

Before losing half of everything, I would re weigh the plane, but DONT reweigh the wife.

I used two different calibrated scales and was surprised my empty weight was off by 10 lbs. CG was the same thou. Even 0.5% error is 6 lbs

So I was really looking forward to weighing my -9A after doing numerous mods. I bought a really nice RV-9A last April, it came in a bit heavy at 1134lbs.
1170. She gained 36lbs. I'm a bit surprised by the amount.

Out of curiosity... Did you verify the 1134 empty weight when you bought it? Or was that just the number on the paperwork? Maybe the plane was actually heavier to start with than you think.

1170. She gained 36lbs.

Maybe it's just me, but gaining 36 doesn't sound bad at all considering the equipment list of items you've added to the airplane. It's now a much more capable, modern, and comfortable ship.

--Ron

Out of curiosity... Did you verify the 1134 empty weight when you bought it? Or was that just the number on the paperwork? Maybe the plane was actually heavier to start with than you think.

Nope, not that I recall. So that's a possibility. Funny thing is I recall thinking how heavy the box of associated parts/pieces were that went with the panel. I bought a complete panel out of a RV10. The panel wasn't used, had AFS cut me a new one. But the old panel had both displays still in it, along with the Avidyne and switch panels. I had another box that contained the other stuff - ACM panel, backup remote radio, transponder, audio panel, engine management panel, harnesses, AP servos, etc... That was the box that seemed heavy. So I can appreciate the weight that went into it in retrospect.
Conditional inspection is this evening, then I can put it all back together. I've got 5 hours of local flight since the C/S prop is new, which will be good time to learn the panel and flying the AOA.
Once it's all buttoned up complete I'll recheck the W&B.

I decided not to tell my wife she needed to lose weight. My first divorce was terribly expensive. Not gonna risk that again. :cool:

Suggesting wife goes on diet may gain you 135 lbs. :eek:

1800 - 1170 = 630
630 - 205 - 135 = 390 (people)
390 - 218 (36 gallons) = 172

Vans list gross at 1700, not 1800 so..

172 - 100 = 72 (baggage)

Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see a problem.
Check your math:
630 - 205 - 135 = 290 (not 390)

Back