What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sherwin Williams Question

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm using AcryGlo Metallic next to Skyscapes Pearl as stripe accents. Both require clear on top. Can I use AcryGlo Urethane clear over the Skyscapes base coat? SW indicates the Skycaps clear can be used over the AcryGlo, but no info the other way round. I don't have any Skyscapes clear, but lots of AcryGLo clear. I would wait until my supplier opens on Monday, but I already started painting the AcryGlo.

I'm using AcryGlo Metallic next to Skyscapes Pearl as stripe accents. Both require clear on top. Can I use AcryGlo Urethane clear over the Skyscapes base coat? SW indicates the Skycaps clear can be used over the AcryGlo, but no info the other way round. I don't have any Skyscapes clear, but lots of AcryGLo clear. I would wait until my supplier opens on Monday, but I already started painting the AcryGlo.
According to the product data sheet it can be used over Skyscapes.

I just copied this from my SW training manual. The bottom left paragraph shows which clear coats work.

Attachments

• 20240120_132030.jpg
    20240120_132030.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
I should have read your message better.
This is the page for clear coat of pearl and mica base coat, 850 series.

Attachments

• 20240120_133743.jpg
    20240120_133743.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
I should have read your message better.
This is the page for clear coat of pearl and mica base coat, 850 series.
Thank you Alan.
I am using the SGP 855 series and the PDS for the 855 (below) does not indicate AcryGlo as one of the clear coats, but it looks like my AcryGlo clear can be used over the 850 material, so I am going to risk it. Chances are the chemistry is the nearly the same, so a catastrophic reaction shouldn't be in the cards......gulp.

Clear Coat PDS.jpg

Thank you Alan.
I am using the SGP 855 series and the PDS for the 855 (below) does not indicate AcryGlo as one of the clear coats, but it looks like my AcryGlo clear can be used over the 850 material, so I am going to risk it. Chances are the chemistry is the nearly the same, so a catastrophic reaction shouldn't be in the cards......gulp.

View attachment 54514
Here's my 855 clear coat page. Looks like you're good to go. See upper left.

Attachments

• 20240120_160725.jpg
    20240120_160725.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Where did you get the training manual.? We are getting ready to start the painting process and could use all the help we can get.
I attended the Sherwin Williams aircraft painting school last February and received it there. I suspect that if you ask your SW distributor they will give you one with your purchase.
I also got EAA's how to paint your airplane book.
Sherwin Williams has painting tips online.
I also watched a bunch of hot rod shows that had painting.
I think they lie when it's said painting is 90% prep, it's closer to 99%.
Painting is similar to fiberglass in that all the errors can be fixed by sanding.
A couple of shots of my results.

Attachments

• 20231021_151133.jpg
    20231021_151133.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230825_160905.jpg
    20230825_160905.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230707_114618.jpg
    20230707_114618.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
You can use the AcryGlo clear. In my experience I would say that you’ll like the Sky Scapes clear better. It is easier to spray and looks better.

Back