What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sherwin Williams GA Paint

Amadeus

Well Known Member
My paint work was done two years ago with Sherwin Williams general aviation paint by a shop that has since changed ownership (new ownership has no interest in answering any questions). At the time of the paint work I was given a small can of base topcoat for doing my own touch ups. I now have a couple nicks in the paint that I want to touch up but cannot get an answer on which components to add to base (hardener? activator?) and the mix ratio for these components.

Anyone know what I need to do to mix a very small amount to be dabbed into the very small nick spots? For very small spots do I even need to mix anything into the base topcoat or can I use a small artist brush and just put some of the base paint on the nick spots?

Also, once the paint is dry should I apply something like clear fingernail polish over the spots?

Jayson

Contact Sherwin Williams direct for BEST answers. You should have a receipt and/or logbook entry that identifies the paint system & colors used. Hopefully the can your touch-up paint is in is also labeled. Without product identifications - your likely not going to get correct answers.... too many variables.
That said - do you know if new shop owners stayed with the particular lines of paint (systems) that previous owners used - you are now a detective.

Is the paint Jet-Glo? If all you have is some base paint you will need some hardener otherwise it will never really set. You should search out the data sheet that will specify the proportions of each, I think it is 2 paint to 1 hardener, but do check. You don't need any thinner or reducer for small touch-up tasks. The last time I bought Jet Glo I believe I had to buy a gallon of hardener, you will only an ounce or two. Can you buy a little from another shop? Find some way to measure approximately the correct quantities. There is quite a wide tolerance band for mixing so don't worry overly if you are not mixing exactly.

If the paint is Sky Scapes GA then it is a 3:1 mix. If you just doing small brush touch ups then maybe mix at 4 or 5 to 1. No reducer is needed for brush work. You will want some sort of clear on it.

Standard JetGlo is a 1:1 mix and does not need any clear coat.

Go to their website. You can look up the spec sheets online that will provide you that information. Also be advised that the paint and other components have a definitive shelf life.

My paint work was done two years ago with Sherwin Williams general aviation paint by a shop that has since changed ownership (new ownership has no interest in answering any questions). At the time of the paint work I was given a small can of base topcoat for doing my own touch ups. I now have a couple nicks in the paint that I want to touch up but cannot get an answer on which components to add to base (hardener? activator?) and the mix ratio for these components.

Anyone know what I need to do to mix a very small amount to be dabbed into the very small nick spots? For very small spots do I even need to mix anything into the base topcoat or can I use a small artist brush and just put some of the base paint on the nick spots?

Also, once the paint is dry should I apply something like clear fingernail polish over the spots?

Jayson
I had a few small nicks and no idea what kind of paint I was dealing with (no records). I got a local auto paint place to match the colors in acrylic enamel. Dabbed it on with one of those tiny q-tip things. It worked great!

Look around and you may get lucky and be able to find a good match with automotive store Dupli-Color touch up paint. I found a near perfect match of my TCP Global Restoations Firemist Red paint color that I used for my RV-10.

Back