What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sheared

RatMan

Well Known Member
OK, :eek: stupid question I'm sure but I can't find the answer anywhere on the net.

What are sheared wingtips? Anyone have a picture of "sheared" vs whatever it replaced? Or was it replaced by something?

Thanks

Rat :confused:

Go to the Van's website and click on "Information on Specific Models". The wingtips on the Rv-8 and RV-7 shown are the sheared wingtips. The ones shown on the RV-4 are the original style. They are interchangeable among the -4, -6, -7, & -8 (and maybe the -3). If you want the nav/strobe light inset under a plexi cover, the sheared wingtip comes standard that way, whereas the original must be modified. As far as I know, no performance advantage is claimed for either, so it's primarily a styling choice. The original, however, does have a tendency to get wavy on the large flat upper surface. I'm planning on a bit of foam laminated in to combat this.

Sheared wing tips

The old and new specs for the RV-8/8A that Vans gives indicated the sheared tips add about 6 sq ft of wing area (old 110 and new 116 sq. ft.) and a total of 1 foot increase in span. In the RV-7 test in Sport Aviation Van is quoted as saying the increased area brings wing loading down a bit, which he likes. I don't think the performance specs Vans posts showed any differences in speed, ceiling or climb rate for the sheared tips. Anybody have any info on that or good landing lights for the new tips to mount under the plastic lens? Bill

I went with Creative Air's Landing/Nav light pkg. The LEDs are really bright.
Something to think about- How are you going to Aim landing lights on the end of the wing? My main reason for using them is to be seen.

Derrell

ldg lights

Haven't gotten far enuf to think about aiming. Was just concerned with getting adequate light and not melting something. Van's people told me last summer they had tried some things including halogens which were too hot. Do you think the LEDs shed adequate light for ldg/taxi? Probably I'll go with the Duckworks - it's known to work well. Bill

the LEDs are only the position lights. There is a 75 Watt flood in the center of the pcb. His web site says most of the heat is backward.

Derrell

Back