What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

She Flies!!!!!! Interesting first flight

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
N256F took to the air today after 4 1/2 years of work, turned out to be an interesting flight and validated (for me at least) the EAA Flight Adviser program. My RV-7 took to the air like a scalded cat however I had no airspeed indications from the Dynon or the back-up ASI, rapidly climbing CHT's on all cylinders and a deafening side tone volume from the SL-30 to provide additional distraction.
After a quick circuit with my 496 set to the panel page to give me some speed guidance (calm winds) I executed a hot final at 100 mph and landed smoothly on the thankfully long runway.
The interesting aspect of this was that lack of airspeed indication was one of the scenarios (along with many others) that I discussed with the flight adviser and the flight test card I prepared included the 496 panel as a backup (I had read that it could be used in a pinch). I also noted on my test card the first rule of "fly the plane" while I sorted through the various issues and I also followed the EAA first flight card and stayed in sight of the runway.
Pitot issue was a tube connection issue in the wing (not reconnected after wing removal in the garage and refitting at the airport), SL-30 side tone volume seems to be a setup issue (factory setting was way too high) and flight 2 confirmed 2 of the 3 problems are corrected but I still have very high CHT's (new ECI 0-360 A1A) which I am not sure what to do about as I have installed the standard Van's baffle kit which I assumed would work.
Anyway as I said an interesting day.
Keep pounding those rivets it is worth it.:D

Congratulations!

Dave that is great news!

The teething issues are normal so don't get discouraged.

As for the E/P-mags, make sure the jumper is in. You can remove it after 10 to 15 hours or so. That will help keep your CHT's lower.

Also, plug the vacuum advance for those first 10 to 15 hours for the same reason.

Congratulations!

Congratulations! I thought you might fly today. There was no wind at all here in Utah Valley. Just the sort of day you said you'd like for your first flight. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back