What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Setting Up Your Avionics Switch

David Paule

Well Known Member
On my C180, the ELT is one of the 406 ones that isn't one of the more common ones on RVs. It's made by Emerging Lifesaving Technologies, so it's an ELT ELT. Whomever installed it set it up so the non-emergency power source comes off the avionics switch. While this is an inconvenience during testing, there's a potential hazard associated with this scheme. Here's what it is:

If there's somewhat of an electrical problem, you might need to shut off the avionics buss to eliminate some battery drain, depending on what all's on it. If you do that then the 406 ELT loses position. Perhaps it'll find itself it's triggered, but there will be at least a short delay. I think that it might be better to connect the ELT non-emergency power source to the master. Note that if you connect it to the battery then the ELT will always be on. I think.

Just a suggestion.... and circumstances might well differ for a different ELT.

On my RV-3B there are two reasons why this isn't an issue. First, there's no avionics buss. The airplane is a simple (ha!) day VFR plane with one comm and one screen, and can be flown with neither. While there is an autopilot, it has a dedicated AP switch for just the servos.

Second is that as a single-seater, an ELT isn't required and I didn't install one.

Dave

Back