What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Setting up a new governor and Whirlwind RV-300 prop - am I doing this right?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I just put a new Whirlwind RV300 and Jihostroj governor on my IO-360 RV8.

Right now, the RPMs hit 2680 at about 26" MP at sea level. According to some experienced mechanics, this means the governor is limiting my max RPM, and not the blade angle/low pitch stop. So in a governor failure, the prop could overspeed. It also means the blades are in a climb pitch through most of the throttle range, which makes the thing glide like a brick.

Talked to a buddy, and my plan is to tie down the tail, then turn down the low pitch stop bolt on the hub until I get the max RPM down to about 2600-2650. Then from there, fly the plane and fine tune the governor to get 2700 in climb/cruise.

Am I doing this correctly? Anyone ever adjust one of these things? I'm wondering how much to turn that bolt, half turn at a time?

Never messed with any of this stuff before, and the internet has not been too helpful. WW documentation identifies the low pitch bolt, but doesn't tell you what to do with it in relation to the governor.

Manual sent

I sent you a Hartzell manual showing their procedure.. Hartzell claims the low pitch stop in the hub produces 200 rpm change per turn, or 1/4 turn should be about 50 rpm.

The range of possible blade angles between high and low blade angle pitch stops define the propeller’s governing range. As long as the propeller's blades operate within the governing range and not against either pitch stop, a constant engine rpm is maintained. However, once the propeller blades reach their pitch-stop limit, the engine rpm increases or decreases with changes in airspeed and propeller load similar to a fixed-pitch propeller. For example, once a specific rpm is selected, if the airspeed decreases enough, the propeller blades reduce pitch in an attempt to maintain the selected rpm until they contact their low pitch stops. From that point, any further reduction in airspeed causes the engine rpm to decrease. Conversely, if the airspeed increases, the pitch angle of the propeller blades increase until the high pitch stop is reached. The engine rpm then begins to increase.

As I understand it, the low/ high pitch stop limits the blade angle.
During take of the rpm is limited by the low pitch stop.
As airspeed increases the load on the engine is reduced and the governor will
limit rpm.
If the governor fails to limit rpm under normal cruise, rpm will rise.
You have to pull the throttle back to limit rpm.
Yes I believe you are doing it correctly.

https://www.flight-study.com/2019/09/controllable-pitch-propeller-transition.html

Good luck

Back