What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service & Maintenance training on the Rotax 912 S

ebrendan

I'm New Here
Has anyone had experience-- good or bad-- with the Rotax training courses given by Lockwood Aviation Supply in Sebring, Florida?

Just read an article in the September issue of Kit Planes Magazine. $445 for a 2-day course seems high; however if it's well done, it may be something that potentially saves far more money over time.

http://www.aerotechnicalinstitute.com/

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here. I haven't even ordered a wing kit yet.

Any & all advice is appreciated. Thanks.
- Brendan

Lockwood

Lockwood Aviation is an excellent resource for any Rotax owners on the East Coast. They do a great job with their classes.

West Coast

What is a West Coast source for Rotax classes? I was looking at a Rotax installation a week ago and it doesn't look anything like other aircraft engines I have worked on. I guess the class should be taken before installation is attempted?

Rich

Aero Tech Institute (Lockwood) puts on a pretty good class. You go through a lot of the daily care and feeding as well as more unusual stuff on the 912. For example, you go through how to clean out the oil tank and then properly purge the oil system - something you need to do every 100 hours if you run 100LL. The "dreaded" carb sync is covered, as is gearbox inspection.

If you can't go to the class, there is a DVD but together by the same folks that's pretty good - ASA puts it out. It's not a substitute for the class, but it is useful.

TODR

West Coast

What is a West Coast source for Rotax classes? I was looking at a Rotax installation a week ago and it doesn't look anything like other aircraft engines I have worked on. I guess the class should be taken before installation is attempted?
Rich

The West Coast classes are put on by California Power Systems (CPS) 1-800-AIRWOLF or www.800-AIRWOLF.com.

Some years back I atttended the 912 maintenance class at the CPS facility in San Leandro CA. Very worthwhile - put on by Eric Tucker, who was pretty much a no-nonsense, here-is-what-you-have-to-know type of guy. I think he still does these. I dont remember much in the class regarding engine installation - remember that this engine is used on a wide variety of aircraft - but the basics are available in the Rotax Installation Manual. You will have plenty of opportunity for specific questions in the class as well.

erich

TIP: Lockwood Aviation has a free Rotax Help Line that operates every day from 9-10a and 2-3p (Eastern Time) daily. The line is staffed by Lockwood's mechanics and they have been helpful for me in the past.

(863) 655-6229. They won't take calls for the help line on the 800 number.

TODR

Back