What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service Bulletins do apply to me

DonPro

I never did the rudder pedal SB since Van said they met FARs and I figured I was not one of those ham footed pilots standing unneccessarily hard on the pedals. Well, caught up with me this morning doing aerobatics. Interesting straddle the center console, using the copilot right pedal, no flap, one brake landing. New ones on order. $226 + shipping.
img_0844.jpg

WOW! I am glad all worked out. That had the potential for a negative outcome.

That's exactly where mine was failing. I found out during the import inspection on my -6, one of the local builders spotted what he thought was a fine line of dirt on the hidden side of one of the welds.

Definitely, if you haven't checked for this, and don't have the SB applied, GO DO IT NOW. This WILL fail, it's just a matter of time.

A couple years ago I had the same failure while taxiing clear of the runway at home plate. It's actually how I learned about the pedal SB (I had much to learn...heck, still do!). FWIW, this thread is where I documented the failure and the repair, and many VAF'ers jumped in with good advice and some similar experiences.

If it helps you in the replacement process, all the better. I had to cut my old pedals out, as the blocks would not clear the aircraft structure. Gil had some great advice about cutting the blocks in half for the re-install, and this is where I learned about the single-bolt method of attaching the brakes to the pedals (from Mike S, I believe).

Having this failure at the wrong time (gusty x-wind) could be pretty sporting, so definitely something to look at, if you have the old pedals without the gussets. Learned my lesson about SBs that day!!

Cheers,
Bob

RV Mills

Thanks, Bob. Not looking forward to working from the floorboard. My least favorite part of building (or fixing). I grew up across the street from an old gentleman named Bob Mills in Phoenix when I was a kid. Colleen was the wife's name if I remember correctly.
Don

The same failure happened to me on my first takeoff as a private pilot. I was taking off from the airport where the FAA examiner had just signed my temporary license. As I was accelerating through 45 knots the aircraft suddenly started moving towards the left side of the runway. I had full right pedal and nothing was happening. My dad, who taught me to fly, was in the right seat and stomped the right pedal as I grabbed a handful of flaps. We took off by the skin of our teeth just as the aircraft exited the left side of the runway. Very close call. Our tail wheel was full of grass from the side of the runway. I'm sure the FAA guy who just signed me off thought, "What have I done?"...until we called him and told of our near miss.

Last edited:
Back