What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Service Bulletin

sheavers

I have been looking at purchasing a completed RV-4 that has been in storage for some time and run on occasion. As far as I know none of Van's Service Bulletins have been complied with. Should I count this plane out and continue the search?

Thanks

check it out

If you can find an "experienced" RV4 builder or a tech counselor try to get them to help you inspect the aircraft. I wouldn't just write it off at this point. All of the service bulletins are downloadable from Vans website. Most are fairly easy to fix. If everything else checks out except the service bulletins haven't been complied with, You could then get an A&P/AI to do the service. I would be more concerned with building quality and the engine inspection/condition. The SBs can be dealt with. IMO. good luck.

The last thing Id worry about is SB's.
Take previous advise, get someone that knows these planes.
And you wont need and a&p to do any of the optional SB's. You can do it yourself. Few people have done them at all anyway.
Best,

Well built airframe

I would take a well built kit (airframe) that has not seen much use over a substandard constructed junker that has had the wings flown off. You can always upgrade and improve the systems but upgrading poor airframe workmanship is not so easy. It also depends on your interest in learning about the systems and making improvements yourself. If you don't like that sort of thing than you should do what all the "How to buy a used airplane" books say. That is; buy an airplane that has already been upgraded.

OK, I'll get down off my apple crate for the weekend.

Cheers,

Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing

Last edited:
Back