What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sequencing a slow-build wing .. what to do first?

wjb

Well Known Member
Hi VAF Brain Trust,

I'm prepping my shop to start building slow-build wings on -7 and was wondering if there is a particular advantage to building any of the parts first ... control surfaces then main wing panels, or vice-versa?

The shop is set up the empennage build, it is would seem make sense to build the control surfaces first, then reconfigure for the wing stands and the main wing panels.

Thoughts?

... wondering if there is a particular advantage to building any of the parts first ... control surfaces then main wing panels, or vice-versa?
Thoughts?
Follow the manual... In most cases there is a rhyme to the reason...

yes build them

build the control surfaces, you had practice on the tail group and there is a bunch of skill transfer between them.

My sequence

I started with the aft spars, then did all the rib work while looking here and all the build sites. Then I did the spar and put one wing together less the bottom skins. Then the tank. I'm taking a break from the other wing and slowly doing flight controls during the summer. Winter is serious build time here in Alaska.

I followed the builder's manual sequence...

...but I would never do that again.

Agree totally with what Instructor Bill says above. It's just logical and will save you a bunch of time. By the time I finished the wings and got around to the flaps and ailerons, I had completely forgotten how I built the elevators and rudder.

I see the builder's manual as a good-faith first effort which has never been properly updated; consequently, it leaves MUCH to be desired. In many cases, there are different and/or better ways to do things.

Just my perspective; some will vehemently disagree, I'm sure.

Also agree with Stephen...

...if there's a Left and a Right--build'em both at the same time if you can possibly make the space to do so.
Saves time, make for better continuity, etc.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the input ... my kit should arrive in a week or so. Since I have the time, I've been spending too much on the fiberglass portions of the empennage ... boy, I sure do like metal over spongy, googey, icky, fiberglassy stuff. Happy I didn't choose an 'easy as my plane!

wings

Keep us updated. I plan to start with both wings on jigs.
I pick up my wing and fuse kits Friday.

What I did was do the wings first....

I did the wings, left and right first and then the wing tanks. At the end of that process was a very large component of a real live airplane which motivated me to keep bangin rivets and continue on to the flaps and aierlons in that order. Cant wait to do the fuse and actually sit in it and make airplanes noises.

Good luck with your build. I know I will never build another set of tanks now.... ever!:)

Back