What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Separate grounding for Vans fueltank senders?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

I'm in the process of doing the last zilloin tasks now, and one of them was connecting the wires in the wingroot.

When connecting the wires from the Vans fuel level senders, I noticed that the senders had no grounding wire.
(The kit is bought partly done)

I easily installed a separate gound wire for the sender in wing with the conventional fuelpick up, but the sender in wing with the floptube is not accessible without removing the tank.

I know that the instructions doesn't mention a separate ground wire, but I think it's a good idea anyway?

My question is this: is it really necessary to install separate ground wires for the Vans fuel level senders?
Or is it ok to install the + wires and let the grounding be taken care of by the tanks itself?

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it's always nice to hear from other builders....

Last edited:
Use an ohmmeter to check for continuity between the sender plate and the tank skin. I found that one of my senders had good continuity, so no additional ground was needed. But, the other sender was fully insulated from ground by all the proseal. I had to add a ground wire from a ring terminal under one of the bolts securing the sender to one of the bolts on the inboard Z-bracket.

Back