What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich Propellor and compatible with 0-320

dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello:
Looking for input to problem with my engine and prop, i Cannot get the RPM at static above 2100 and even in cruise most i get is 2300.

I level out and indicated airspeed is 140 knots. this seems slow?

Have any of you used this prop it has an 82 inch pitch to it? This is the prop specifically designed for RV's any and all advice or input greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

What model O-320? If you have one that's rated 150hp, that would be a pretty high pitch in that application. Maybe see if you can locate a 79 or 80" pitch prop to try in place. Ideally you would like to see the high cruise rpm around 2550 or 2600.
I seem to remember hearing 1 inch of pitch change is only worth about 25 rpm change.

Vans recommend this:
RV-7:
150 HP --> 78" pitch
160 HP --> 80" pitch

RV-7A:
150 HP --> 77" pitch
160 HP --> 79" pitch

So with your 82" pitch the RPM seam right, the prop a bit overpitched.

2100 RPM static is not unusual with a cruise pitch prop. Particularly if you are not at a low elevation airport.

Is the airplane fully finished with all fairings installed?

If not, that will have a major influence on your speeds and the RPM that your achieve with a fixed pitch prop

Also, never use indicated airspeed as a performance reference without providing more info like flight altitude, etc.

True airspeed is the best reference when discussing performance issues.

Last edited:
Back