What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich metal prop Vs Cato wood prop

PeteP

Well Known Member
I see that the RPM limit on the Sensenich metal prop for the O320 is 2600 RPM max. Is this a problem for a 9A? I know a lot of O320 installation will not reach 2600 except in a power dive but not sure of how the 9A does with this limit. I like what I see on the Cato wood props but wonder about their durability in rain.

Why all these question.. getting ready to stroke the check for the wing, fuselage and finishing kit!

Thanks,
Pete

I asked Catto about the rain thing when I was thinking of going FP. With the metal leading edge they said it's not an issue. My advice is to try and find someone that's actually flow behind one in the weather.

That said, I'm going CS.

I have a metal Sensenich and a O-320 150HP. I can exceed the 2600 RPM limit in level flight if I want to. So it is holding back my top speed. Also the HP rating is at 2700RPM. So I am never generating top HP. The good point is I don?t have to slow down in rain.

Sensenich had some new composite props they were showing at Oshkosh with a 2700 rpm limit. This is the redline of the Lycoming. (but many guys go well over this with other props ? not sure of the safety of this)

I have talked with quite a few of the prop suppliers at Osh and they all said that with the new metal leading edge rain was not a problem.

If I had it to do over, I would go with a Catto 3-bladed prop with metal leading edges. Or if I had the money, I would go with a constant speed. Especially on a O-320.

If you haven?t bought the engine or prop, I would go with a IO-360 and a constant speed prop. (Speed, climb, power, and resale are better)

Catto prop is very good. Just do not go in the rain if you can. During Phase One I caught some rain near redline. That's what I got on tips.

rain1.jpg

rain2.jpg

I have the Van's recommended Sensenich on my IO-320 RV9A. No issues with performance. It hops off the ground quickly, climbs well, in high speed cruse it will bump the 2600 rpm limit. It is virtually maintenance free and does not require expensive overhauls like the cs props. It's hard to beat the bang for the buck.

When I purchased my prop 3 years ago, Craig Catto said the optional clear tape on the prop tips was sufficient to allow normal flight into rain. The new stainless steel would certainly be even better, but it does not seem necessary, unless time has proven the clear tape insufficient.

When I purchased my prop 3 years ago, Craig Catto said the optional clear tape on the prop tips was sufficient to allow normal flight into rain. The new stainless steel would certainly be even better, but it does not seem necessary, unless time has proven the clear tape insufficient.

I believe the clear tape is the same stuff developed for helo rotor blades in the first Gulf War to sheild against blade erosion from sand.

If it is, it'll hold up just fine, however it's UV sensitive so it has to be periodically replaced.

Back