What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich 0-320 prop

godspeed

Well Known Member
I found a new prop for my rv9a but I have one question from those who
know much more than me about props, (I don't know anything yet)

anyway my engine is a 150 hp 0320 carb fresh rebuild, since it has narrow deck cyclenders I didn't elect to raise it to 160 hp pistons.. mine are 7.4 to 1 pistons ,anyway the prop vans recommends is the

PROP 70CM6S9-0 (77) and the one I have found.(not have to wait 5 months)

PROP 70CM6S9-0 (78) So it appears to be more of a cruse prop, what is the
good points or bad points of this additional pitch.. will that add or retract
those 25-40 rpms ? or is this just a bad idea and I should wait the 5 months
for another propeller ?

Danny..

Danny

I have the 79 inch prop on my 160 hp 9A. I've flown a 9A with an 80 inch prop. A little less climb performance but overall not much of a difference. He claimed he got quite a bit faster cruise than the standard prop, I'm not sure about that though.

Give Ed at Sensenich a call, he's great to deal with and can answer most of your questions.

Cam

Props

I heard this in a prop discusion recently " putting a fixed pitch prop on a RV is like having a Corvett with one gear"
I agree. The speed envelope of RVs is wide. A Hartzell lets you use all of it.

An inch doesn't sound like much, but ... I had a 77" on my 6A with an old 150hp engine. I got 2150 rpm on the runway & 2450 at cruise (wide open throttle, 7500'). Climb rate was leisurely at best. A new engine will do better, but I would be inclined to wait for a 77". Having said that, they can be re-pitched for $150 if you need to change.

Alternatively take Jay's suggestion (an electric MT would work).

Pete

Jaypratt said:
The speed envelope of RVs is wide. A Hartzell lets you use all of it.

I actually made a comment in my post about CS props but decided to delete it to stop the prop flame war, but I have to agree with Jay on this one. After flying 200 hours this year in my 9A with a FP prop. I really wish I had a CS prop. Cruise is great with the Sensenich but takeoff and climb are really hurt. I'll make you a deal on a good condition 79 inch prop. :D

10 hour student pilot

guys I love the debates, but my wallet just can't agree here.. I am still talking lessons (and from the looks of my talent it might be a while) one day I fly great and the next I can't maintain within 100 feet doing 360's its windy here.. :) cessna 172 ,or thats my excuse and I am sticking to it.. I need to learn how to fly before dealing with prop adjustments, (thats my concern) my engine can be converted, we knocked out the plug (just completed the rebuilt) with the hole in it on the back side of the crank (aircraft specialty services) said they could install the plug easy without opening the engine) not sure about that.. special tool, I figured I would try to learn how to fly and have another option down the road when I could afford it (after the plane is flying..) anyway what kinda deal we talking about on the 79 ?

Danny..

ps, I have a 2003 corvette with 6 gears, and I used all of them.. but it will not take off at 175 mph without a ramp :)

Last edited:
godspeed said:
anyway what kinda deal we talking about on the 79 ?

QUOTE]

Well let's see. The MT prop and governor is about 9k. So how about 8k for the Sensenich? :D It's going to be a while before I get a new prop. The engine has about 1700 TTSN, so I'll probably wait until I do an engine rebuild to change the prop.

Danny, you won't be disappointed with the Sensenich prop. It's easy to lose prospective when talking about performance numbers and RV's. At the end of the day, all RV's perform very well compared to most certified planes out there.

Good luck on the flight training.

Cam

Danny,
Don't let these guys get you down. Ann and I have been flying our -6 off of a 1500' strip in Texas for over 12 1/2 years with a fixed pitch prop and it works just fine. Yes a constant speed gives you a shorter takeoff and more drag on approach; but the RV gets off so short anyway that you must weigh the cost, weight and maintenance differential between the two. I've also owned a couple of Corvettes and I used all the gears, but I'm very happy with my fixed pitch prop.
Mel...DAR

Back