What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

self extinguishing conduit mat'l (?)

Gents,

B4 putting the Van's supplied conduit (black) in the fuselage (I have it already in the wings) I did flame-test it. It ignites beautifully! I think it's going out the wings and out the workshop.
Question is what and where do I buy a self-extinguishing substitute.

TNX and
BSTRGRDS
Mike Raviv 70434 4X-ORV (res)
Installing stuff.

Hi Mike,
instead of the Van's supplied conduct, I bought locally (I mean in Italy) a conduit made by PMA (part #PCLT-17B). I have still not tested it, but it's certified as flame resistant. It's made out of "Specially Modified Polyamide 6/6.6". Try a search with Google...

I went to Home Depot electrical dept. and bought a conduit that is powder blue and rated for household electrical. It's a lot stiffer and isn't split down the middle, but that was perfect for running down the wings, although a bit heavier. Something about well burning plastic and fuel tanks and lines didn't appeal to me for the black stuff. A burn test of the black and powder blue stuff resulted in the black stuff burning like napalm and the blue stuff struggling to keep a flame and just mainly charring without supporting combustion. Hope this helps.

Back