What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking Advice for Buying a used RV-7

KenS

I'm New Here
I am in the market for a plane and one on my "short list" is the RV-7. I have owned a plane before, so I have a little working knowledge on questions to ask concerning AD's, damage history, corrosion, engine compression, etc.. I understand that a pre-buy inspection by a good A&P is also critical. My question, are there potential problem areas unique to the RV-7 that should be given special attention in the pre-buy or questions specific to the RV-7 asked of the seller? Are there builders of the RV's that know the right questions to ask and things to look for that assist (for pay or gratis) in the process? I flew an RV-6 on a demo flight many years ago and fell in love with it, so when I decided to buy again, the RV-7 was at the top of my list. Buying a used plane under any circumstances gets the anxiety level up, but buying one with "Experimental" written on it pushes the needle a little further over for yours truly, so I'm just looking to cover the bases as best I can. Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Ken, welcome to VAF:D

Lots of RV type knowledge in your area-----you might want to check out the RV White Pages for someone close to you, give them a call.

Dont concern yourself too much about the "Experimental" stuff, these RVs are pretty much foolproof from an engineering standpoint, it is the workmanship that you need to evaluate carefully-----that and how well the plane is equipped to meet your needs.

Hang on, a flood of info is headed your way, I suspect.

I am in the market for a plane and one on my "short list" is the RV-7. I have owned a plane before, so I have a little working knowledge on questions to ask concerning AD's, damage history, corrosion, engine compression, etc.. I understand that a pre-buy inspection by a good A&P is also critical. My question, are there potential problem areas unique to the RV-7 that should be given special attention in the pre-buy or questions specific to the RV-7 asked of the seller? Are there builders of the RV's that know the right questions to ask and things to look for that assist (for pay or gratis) in the process? I flew an RV-6 on a demo flight many years ago and fell in love with it, so when I decided to buy again, the RV-7 was at the top of my list. Buying a used plane under any circumstances gets the anxiety level up, but buying one with "Experimental" written on it pushes the needle a little further over for yours truly, so I'm just looking to cover the bases as best I can. Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Call Mel Asberry (Texas DAR) to look over any plane you're considering, its like buying good insurance!! :)

Get help from a Tech Counselor

If you are looking to buy an aircraft that someone else built ...
Have a Tech counselor, or someone that is a real expert builder, help you go over every nook and cranny with a very fine tooth comb.
And then go back with a finer toothed comb and recheck the tail, wing roots, center section , wing attach points, and the firewall.

And then when going through and checking the wiring ... recheck everything again.

If it says built by an "experienced builder", then recheck everything again:eek:
There seem to be a lot of "experienced builders" that are just too stupid to build a table let alone an airplane.

How do we know? We spent about 6 months fixing stupid after we got our kit.

Definitely see if you can get Mel, or Randy Richmond out of Fort Worth to help you inspect an airplane that you are interested (there are other good RV judges as well). I have found that getting an "A&P" who is only familiar with certified airplanes can lead to problems. Things are frequently done a bit differently in the experimental world - and different is not necessarily better or worse - just different. Certified mechanics often look for what they know, not what might be good that they aren't familiar with - an open mind is important. The bets is to find an experienced A&P who is also an RV builder!

Paul

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. I'll show my ignorance with a couple of questions. Reiley suggested I call Mel Ashbury (Texas DAR). What is Texas DAR? Dave & Trina suggested I have a Tech Counselor look over the plane. What is a Tech Counselor and where would I find one? Thanks!

Click here to learn about the EAA's Technical Counselor program: http://www.eaa.org/techcounselors/ and to search your area.

DAR is Designated Airworthiness Representative. The FAA doesn't have enough man-power to do all the aircraft inspections, so there are DARs who help out the FAA. Similar to Designated Examiners who give check-rides since there aren't enough FAA examiners to do all the checks. Mel Asberry is a DAR (rather well respected I'll add) and happens to live in Texas. DARs are everywhere.

Hope that helps.

-Jim

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, exactly the kind of information I was hoping for. I'll show my ignorance with a couple of questions. Reiley suggested I call Mel Ashbury (Texas DAR). What is Texas DAR? Dave & Trina suggested I have a Tech Counselor look over the plane. What is a Tech Counselor and where would I find one? Thanks!

If you want an education regarding experimental airplanes, join a local EAA chapter.

You may even luck out and meet an excellent builder who wants to sell his airplane and move on to another plus you could make a deal with him for the annual condition inspections.

There'd be a lot less anxiety with this process if you knew more about it.

Check for cracks in the landing gear mounts on the engine mount and check for a sloppy tail-wheel assembly, bad bearings in the tail wheel, poor main wheel bearings and cracks in the spinner mounts.

Ken,

You have received some good advice but you really must do some homework to find out how you fit within the experimental environment. At this point you are a minnow swimming in a barrel full of sharks! The folks who populate the experimental community are by and large a good group, but you need to understand how the regs and owner obligations relate to experimentals.

As suggested make contact with a good EAA chapter or mentor and spent some time on the EAA website. There you will find many good articles regarding topics you need to know. Shopping for an RV without understanding the regulatory environment is a sure way to peg the anxiety meter. :)

Good luck with your future purchase and entry into the exciting world of experimental aviation!

Contact me

Hi Ken,

Give me a call and I'll tell you the good and bad experiences I had buying a flying RV7 this summer. Check your PM's for my contact info.

Back