What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing wiring to stringers in tailcone what clamp?

rockyfatcat

Well Known Member
I have a-7 project that never had any wiring going to the tail. I’m thinking I need something that would clip to one of the stringers. I know I do not want to glue a 4 way sticky stab on the skin.

I can drill a hole in the frames and protect the wiring with snap bushings. I just don’t want to drill a hole if I can find some sort of a clip.

How did you secure your wires going to the tail?

Don't overthink this question.
Consider the use of conduit, one on each side from the baggage bulkhead all the way
back to where you can access it through the inspection cover under the HS.
Pex plumbing pipe is super light weight, somewhat flexible but stiff enough to not need more than 3 adel clamps to
attach to the stringers. Advantages of conduit are: very easy to pull wiring to the tail, easy to add wiring for gadgets in the future and more.
You can do the same for the rest of the fuselage and make your wiring job easy.
If you are trying to safe every gram of weight, then zip tying wiring to the stringers is the way to go.

Don't overthink this question.
Consider the use of conduit, one on each side from the baggage bulkhead all the way
back to where you can access it through the inspection cover under the HS.
Pex plumbing pipe is super light weight, somewhat flexible but stiff enough to not need more than 3 adel clamps to
attach to the stringers. Advantages of conduit are: very easy to pull wiring to the tail, easy to add wiring for gadgets in the future and more.
You can do the same for the rest of the fuselage and make your wiring job easy.
If you are trying to safe every gram of weight, then zip tying wiring to the stringers is the way to go.
I did something similar with the wings. The original builder went day VFR only. No lights, no wires. I used 1/2” ID PVC with standoffs and 5 adel clamps on each sides, mostly due to access issues.

I have full access to the tail and I have a real scrawny son, he takes after his mon. I’ll probably throw a rubber mat down, and stuff him back there with a handful of tools.

It ain’t rocket science.

Those are neat, but I would consider having a mechanical connection to the stringer that doesn’t rely on friction.
They make a “cable tie saddle” that you put a screw through. Similar to above……
I used these in the fuselage but did do conduit in wings.
That saddle clamp would be ok if it was glued it in place. I’m not interested in drilling extra holes in the stringers. That’s why I was looking for something that clipped on and secured the wiring in a manner that appears AC 43–13 aviation acceptable.

I found these guys will sell me one or a thousand.

That saddle clamp would be ok if it was glued it in place. I’m not interested in drilling extra holes in the stringers. That’s why I was looking for something that clipped on and secured the wiring in a manner that appears AC 43–13 aviation acceptable.

I found these guys will sell me one or a thousand.

I doubt that you’ll find that little clip in AC43.13 (but that doesn;t mean it won’t work….) - but the simplest thing with little to no experimentation and no hole drilling is to get some of those four-way zip-tie holders, peel off the suppled sticky stuff, and replace it with 3M VHB tape. You’ll now have somethign that will hold a GoPro on a wingtip reliably - so tacking some wires down is nothing. Just make sure that when you send your son back, there, you send him with some solvent pads to clean the skin where you’re going to stick it on - any oil residue and they’ll eventually pop off.

Its a lesser solution than ClickBond adhesive….but its been proven to work for years.

Paul

I doubt that you’ll find that little clip in AC43.13 (but that doesn;t mean it won’t work….) - but the simplest thing with little to no experimentation and no hole drilling is to get some of those four-way zip-tie holders, peel off the suppled sticky stuff, and replace it with 3M VHB tape. You’ll now have somethign that will hold a GoPro on a wingtip reliably - so tacking some wires down is nothing. Just make sure that when you send your son back, there, you send him with some solvent pads to clean the skin where you’re going to stick it on - any oil residue and they’ll eventually pop off.

Its a lesser solution than ClickBond adhesive….but its been proven to work for years.

Paul
That's what I used in between bulkheads. I removed the tape and bonded them with G-Flex. Once cured, the cables were lashed with waxed lacing string. Bulkheads were drilled for snap bushings.

On the 4 way sticky tabs. We used to peel off the protective tape and expose the sticky part, and shoot a tiny dab of 2 part glue through a swizzle tip on the tab and stick it on.

We would never stick one of those on the skin. But this is an experimental, not a Boeing stringer.

I’m happy with these edge clips even if they are not approved for certified aircraft. I’m not drilling extra holes in the stringers.

Panduit is the approved provider for zip ties, and the 4 way sticky tabs, and the calibrated tool for drawing zip ties tight and flush snipping off the excess.

On the 4 way sticky tabs. We used to peel off the protective tape and expose the sticky part, and shoot a tiny dab of 2 part glue through a swizzle tip on the tab and stick it on.

We would never stick one of those on the skin. But this is an experimental, not a Boeing stringer.

I’m happy with these edge clips even if they are not approved for certified aircraft. I’m not drilling extra holes in the stringers.

Panduit is the approved provider for zip ties, and the 4 way sticky tabs, and the calibrated tool for drawing zip ties tight and flush snipping off the excess.
Which stringers are you going to attach to, i.e. the thin J-channel or the thicker longeron angle? It will be interesting to get feedback here on VAF after you have tried them out.

Back