What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing wires firewall forward...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm using a braided grounding straps from ground post on the firewall to an engine sump bolt. The strap is 20 inches long and is barely touching the fuel pump fittings. Is this a bad idea? Here's a picture. Do I need to secure the strap to something besides the two ends?

00ebce56a1d64118b2db869b46aec4e3

Another question. Can I put an adel clamp around a fire sleeved fuel line to secure wires? Here's another picture.

400d76e9d77d418b9cc2ed27e04173a3

Thanks,
Michael-

That ground strap will act like a saw over time. I wrapped mine in critical locations with Rescue Tape.

Ground strap routing

That ground strap carries all the current related to all engine operation, and especially starter operation. I wouldn't route that strap anywhere near anything fuel related.

If it were mine, I would take a piece of clear plastic hose, about 3" long, slit it and slide over the ground strap. Then using lacing cord, tie the covered ground strap to the fuel fitting so it can not move.

That ground strap will act like a saw over time. I wrapped mine in critical locations with Rescue Tape.

While I agree with covering the strap with tape or other form of protection, I think you are going to be protecting the ground strap from being damaged, not from causing damage.

The ground strap is probably tinned copper, pretty soft stuff.

Shorter ground strap?

whiel I know you already have your long ground strap, have you thought about an engine bolt that's higher up and closer to the battery? You could avoid all that potential interference with the mixture cable, fuel lines, etc. Because I have an LSEI on the right, both the mag position and vacuum pad had available bolts, which made the negative strap really short and far removed from all the crowding lower down on the back of the engine. Just a thought ....

Back