What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing VA-118 brake lines

vbpiper

Well Known Member
I am in the process of going over everything in the plane to find and correct areas of possible chafing and find that the VA-118 (black) brake lines touch one of the horizontal stiffeners on the firewall. The area of concern is just above where the brake lines fit into the bracket attached to the firewall.
Without getting into the debate about the desirability of the Bonaco stainless steel lines (I agree that they are a terrific option), does anyone have any suggestions for ways to make a stand-off or a way to position the brake lines away from the stiffener a little? I'm not sure that I want to drill holes in the stiffener to place Adel clamps, but that may be the best option.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
As an aside, it's amazing how much I have learned over the past few years from these forums and from interested parties stopping by the hangar! The more time I spend looking for possible chafing, the more I appreciate the opportunity we have to build our own planes!
Thanks.

......does anyone have any suggestions for ways to make a stand-off or a way to position the brake lines away from the stiffener a little?.......
Perfectly suited for a brake line that crosses over a stiffener at a right angle, this technique is likely adaptable to your situation:

1r2kg1.jpg

P.S. Another example in a long line of reasons why I prefer a pneumatic alligator squeezer to a "C" type squeezer. It will easily access and make very short work of setting those AD rivets. Chances are a "C'" type squeezer cannot reach the work. Still, you can always set the AD4 rivets using a rivet gun.

Perfect!

Just the help I was looking for! Thanks, Rick, for the photo. Now I have a short project for the day. I did not want to drill a #12 hole in the stiffener, so this will be just the ticket.:D I may end up using blind rivets due to poor access.
That looks like a pre-fab angle. I will just use some scrap and make my own, but I was curious what the piece was that Rick used.

Last edited:
Back