What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing the Skyview USB Connector

Vans has us cut a hole in the panel floor and bolt it to the floor, giving access from below the panel. I can send you the template they gave us for doing that.

Buy one of these:

USBPNLAFAM1.Main.jpg

....and connect to the USB that comes out of the Skyview connector.

http://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-...t-USB-Cable-A-to-A-Female-to-Male~USBPNLAFAM1

Works great. Just installed one last week in my RV-8.

This does not apply to the RV-12 Skyview kit - which comes with a wire harness assy with the USB connector preassembled and ready for installation.....wherever you decide to mount it.

Bob Bogash
N737G

USB Connector

The one I have does not have any provision for mounting.
It is simply a female USB on a cable.

The one I have does not have any provision for mounting.
It is simply a female USB on a cable.

Hi Al,

That's why I added the small extension. I originally had the female USB just coiled up behind the panel and would reach underneath/behind every time I wanted to install or remove the USB drive. I thought about creating some sort of bracket to mount the female end, but decided the small extension was easier and quicker to install....just cut and file a small rectangular hole, drill two screw holes, mount where ever desired, and connect male extension end to female Skyview end.

Not sure if you're "allowed" to modify the wiring of the RV-12 in this manner, but is guess it'll be okay if it's E-LSA? I'm not familiar with some of the rules for LSA. Good luck either way.

What is wrong with the USB connector provided by Van's and their intended way of installing it?

That was my question too Torsten. Al has put a UL engine in his, and as I recall did not get his skyview from Vans. Apparently our USB with mounting is a Vans product, not skyview, so we did not have that problem.

Explanation: The Skyview D-1000's big DB connector on the back has 4 pins for a USB connection. In addition to that, the D-1000 has some standard USB female sockets on the back. The harness supplied by Van's (and built by SteinAir) uses those 4 pins connecting to 4 wires that terminate in a female USB connector which you mount facing downward in the base of the panel. If you do not get that harness from Vans, the harness you get or make may leave those 4 pins unused.

In that case you can get a standard male to female USB extension cable and run it however you like from one of the unused USB ports on the back of the D-1000. Or, you can buy a female USB socket that has 4 pigtail wires coming out the back, add pins to them, and slide them into the DB connector in the proper place (the Dynon installation manual shows those pinouts.)
Bill

Back