What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing the baffles

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

The baffles around the cylinder heads are secured with filister head screws. Should these be safety wired? The screws are drilled. Is lock tight and star washers more appropriate? I am doing my final assembly and have been scratching my head for some time over the issue. The rest of my baffles are assembled with platenuts.

Thanks,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

I did not safety wire mine; I just used the screws and lock (star) washers that came with the FWF kit. No problems so far.

Michael if you have opportunity to safety wire them, do it. After second 100 hour inspection I found a screw on my airbox :eek:

foundscrew.jpg

After long investigation and digging the specs from builder's manual I figured out it was from here

missingbafflescrew.jpg

All of them had two washers flat and crush, were properly torqued and marked during final assembly. All of them needed tightening. I would suggest safety wire if you can figure out points of securing it. Unless you are talking about something else...

From the appearance of the picture it looks as though the star washer was against the aluminum doubler on the baffle. If this is the case, this may have been why it loosened up. It should be screw, star washer, flat washer and then baffle. Maybe it was that way and the picture just looks funny, but I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of installations where the screws are not safety wired and the fastness have never loosened up when installed with lock washers and flats and torqued.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

From the appearance of the picture it looks as though the star washer was against the aluminum doubler on the baffle. If this is the case, this may have been why it loosened up. It should be screw, star washer, flat washer and then baffle.
\

That IS the case Mahlon you are right thank you very much. The star washer was against the baffle. This weekend I will check all of them and reinstall properly. Details, details. Love the community!

Star washers and cotter pins are not reusable items. During the build process fasteners are being installed and removed numerous times. Wait till your installing them for the last time to torque them down with the lock fastener in place. Or just buy extra as they are cheap.

Back