What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section build order

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I just finished section 29 (felt like a lifetime)

the next sections are the steps, then the upper forward fuse, then tailcone attach, etc. I know many of you have done sections out of order at this point. For me, I'm thinking to do the pedals/brakes, brake lines, and fuel lines next. Any reason not to?

10 builders, please tell me what you feel is the best order from this point forward.

I would suggest you do as much of the control system, and plumbing/wiring as you can.

Anything that can be done now, while the basic fuse in open is a lot easier than laying on your back later on.

Might be a good idea to make a way to access the step bolt in a few years......

Hold off on upper front skin as long as you can for same reasons.

If you even think you may be running wiring aft in the future, put in conduits now------they are light and almost free in terms of aircraft costs.

Good luck, and congrats on finishing 29.

Go ahead and make the forward fuselage

Rivet it together but DONT rivet it on the plane until all the wiring is done.
That forces you to also not install the windshield, but you can install the cabin top and everything else. Don't do what I did and run all the power and ground for everything, but not install the avionics ( because I was waiting until the last min to purchase them). Then had to wire them all upside down. It cost me 2-3 times what it would have taken me if I had waited on it and the windshield. Build it, just don't rivet it to the fuselage

30 hr into phase I

I worked up to the cabin top section, except didn't final install any covers or trim panels, just match drilled, finished and painted them. Like Bill, the upper fwd fuse was riveted together but not riveted on. Then I did all of the wiring and panel stuff, or I should say most of it because I keep finding a new wire that needs to be run, like fuel gages and stick functions. Once that was done I finished riveting down the rear seat floors, did the fuel and brake lines, rudders, control rods, flap system, antennas, essentially anything I could do to put off starting to work on the cabin top. I'm now on the doors, and when they're close to final, like in a year (just kidding) I'll paint the inside of the top and doors and final install them, the last bit of upper skin and the upper fwd fuse. That should leave only engine controls and sensor wiring to run once the engine is hung. BTW, any of you with landing gear and top installed, what is the height of the top of the cabin from the floor? I'm a little concerned about being able to wheel it out of the garage...82 inches...

==dave==

Like others have said, you don't have to do the final install of the upper fuselage until you are ready to install the windshield. It's easy to take on and off, even with the cabin cover installed. Building the panel harness is much easier with the upper fuselage assembly on the bench.

I followed the plans. With cushions, no seats, no sticks, it was like lying on the couch. Not really, but was no big deal. I did not want 500 lbs of engine/prop/misc hanging on my unassembled firewall/fwd cockpit area. There is a reason Van's has an order to the assembly.

If you leave the rear seat well floor whilst you finish the wiring but decide to put the flap drive in while you wait, you will have to take the flap drive out again to get the floor in. Ask me how I know this..........

Get pro-active. Start looking ahead, and taking some of the good advice above. Wiring conduit is definitely something to do before closing it up - you can't have too many.
The real thing is to start on the canopy and windows. You don't have to work on them full time, but you need to have something ready to work on, when you hit a stopping point on something else.

John

Kit log Pro

If you want to see a day by day build that was out of order, take a look at mine. I had the wire, plumbing and system parts 99% complete before the cabin top went on. The interior of the cabin was almost finished before it was bolted in.

I have had to go under the panel less than five times since putting on the top forward skin.

It is on Kitlogpro, can' t do the link on the iPad, just search for a -10 in Oregon.

Tail Cone Attach

I attached the tail cone which I didn't find that difficult. I built a special fixture on wheels to mate the front with the tail. If you have the workshop space, I recommend it next.

Then I started on the wiring. Just about every wire I can imagine that would be needed including some spare wires and some fishing line to pull more wires.

Also included in there was the insulation and plumbing.

Then the controls, sticks, pedals, etc.

I am in a bit of a quandry here on where to proceed and I am going start another post here on attaching the fuse cover..

many thanks

Thank you all for the advice. I will take it all into consideration as I proceed. ... I do like that I can do all of the top fuse but skip attaching it to the fuse until required.

Back