What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 6 page 2 question

Rk772

I'm New Here
Man, I hate asking this question on basically the 1st few steps of the build but I just can’t picture this in my head. Step 6 says dimple flush aft VS-01401 and VS-702. I searched and read a previous question from several years ago and still don’t get it. Plus, I looked at pictures on various blogs and people have done it either way. When it says dimple flush aft, are they referring to the parts orientation on the page or its orientation when attached to the airplane? In simple terms, does the flush side of the rivet go on the same side that VS-01401 attaches to 702 or does it go on the other side in between the flanges of 702?
It’s day 1 and I already feel stupid 🥴

Check out the wiki by Pete link below, more pictures and links to questions and answers, but it’s flush on the aft side, shop head will be on the fwd side, so in the plans picture the shop head is showing, the flat head would be pointing back into the page, thus the dimple side is aft.

My builder log probably has another picture as well. IMG_3300.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7tso79j/AABHaMhiVWFGoal2bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

Last edited:
Aft flush means flush on the aft side when mounted on the plane. Usually this means there is something mounted on top of the rivet and it needs to be flush.

Check out the wiki by Pete link below, more pictures and links to questions and answers, but it’s flush on the aft side, shop head will be on the fwd side, so in the picture the shop head is showing, the flat head would be pointing back into the page, thus the dimple side is aft.

My builder log probably has another picture as well. View attachment 46715

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7tso79j/AABHaMhiVWFGoal2bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

Thank you. This explanation and picture cleared it up in my head.

Of course, glad to help, pm me if you are ever on the west side of h town! Also watch the south texas group here, a group of us meets once a month around the area.

Of course, glad to help, pm me if you are ever on the west side of h town! Also watch the south texas group here, a group of us meets once a month around the area.

Will do. Would love to see your plane sometime. I’m building in my garage in Humble

Back