What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 42F Step 1 Question

PilotBrent

Well Known Member
I've been installing the avionics over the last few days and as usual if you follow the plans to letter, they are extremely clear.

However... I'm at the stage in the ELT installation where the plans tell me to refer to the instructions provided with the AV-E-04 ACK 406 Mhz ELT. I think they are referring to the booklet that comes with the ELT. It "appears" that we are suppose to "solder" the WH-F395 and WH-P325 wires into a very small electrical jack that then fits into a socket that itself is attached to the ELT.

Didn't think soldering was a good idea when installing electrical systems in aircraft. Vibration stresses the connection I believe. For those of you who have worked through this section, did you indeed do some fine soldering of the wires to the this jack? I'll probably call Van's to confirm what I think I'm reading. Appreciate any feedback.

I soldered. I know some others have crimped molex sockets on the wires and used those instead.

The instructions also tell you to pot the wires in the connector housing with RTV, so I don't think vibrations will be a significant problem.

I did as Ken of Indianapolis did -- soldered and potted -- looks good. Don't forget to place the female portion of the plug and four little shrink-wraps on the four wires BEFORE you solder them. :eek: Also, ACK advised me to ground Pin 3 to any nearby airframe ground, and the "RS 232 data line shield should only be grounded at the panel end" (which is where Van's has already grounded this shield.

I'm looking at the 4 pins on the back of the DIN connector but I seem to have only two wires to connect to it, the red and white WH-P325 power wire and the shielded white Data Out WH-F55 wire (I have the original D180 wiring - now GRY/PRP WH-395 in the Skyview kit).

According to the ACK instructions, the RS232-Rec wire, which I assume is the Data Out wire, goes to pin 4. Power goes to pin 1, so that's clear enough. Then a short 24 AWG test wire (which we have to make) is supposed to be connected to pin 2, and another conductor goes from pin 3 to ground, although the shield is supposed to be grounded at the cockpit end.

My questions are:

1. Is WH-55 Data Out to pin 4 correct?
2. Is the WH-F55 shield already grounded at the cockpit?
3. I assume it would be OK to use 22AWG wire instead of 24AWG for the test wire?
4. What am I supposed to do at pin 3?
5. What do I do with the exposed shield at the ELT end of the WH-55 wire?

I'm OK with rivets, bolts and sheet metal, but as you can see electronics is not my strong point, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Back